New to the site and Chickens.

BackYrdColorado

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 5, 2013
Hello all,

Well I am glad to be here first off, In advance id like to thank all of you for your help and patience with my newb-ness. My wife and kids and I have decided to take on a small flock. I have done a fair amount of research and learning the last few weeks and am feeling comfortable enough now to take on the task/joy of Chickens.

I let my kids decided on the flock we will have and my question to you all is are they a good match together and is there demeanor good enough to have with my kids wanting to handle them ALOT. We are thinking about getting 2 each of the following ~~ Silver Spangled Hamburg, Speckled Sussex, and Golden Buff.

We have a decent back yard so they will definitely have room to free range on the nicer days when I am home and able to help keep an eye (as of now the fence is only 4 foot high). I plan to buy a coop and tweak it to my needs and those of the Chickens.

The coop will be 2 feet of the ground and 4'H x 7'L x 4'W with a 6'H x 8'L x4'W run. so including the underside of the coop they should have about 60sq feet outside and 28sq feet inside the coop. I may make it 5 foot wide but not totally sure on that yet.

Thanks in Advance,
Mike

~Centennial Colorado~

welcome-byc.gif
from washington state glad you joined us!

Welcome to BYC. Silver Spangled Hamburgs and Speckled Sussex arnt really a good match for kids. A 4' fence wont keep none of those birds in. My Hamburgs have flown up on the roof of my house lol.
Hamburgs are flighty and skittish, Speckled Sussex's seem to be abit skittish as well. Golden Buff's can be tamed if enough time is spent with them. For the kids (and you) ....perhaps Barred Rocks and Buff Orpington's would be a better choice. They are friendly, not flighty nor skittish, make great pets and are reliable layers, as well as cold weather hardy.

welcome-byc.gif
silkies are kid favorites (not the best layers) but, are somewhat fragile- especially prone to head injuries - really best for older children that won't squeeze to tight, or accidentally drop them.

Thank you all for the warm welcomes! Thanks for the info dawg53 and I will look into a silkie or 2 drumstick thanks!

I was looking at the Barred Plymouth Rock last night, It may become 3 of them and 3 of the Golden Buffs. :)

Back
Top Bottom