New to the website and to duck unclehood :)

Brianmiller1021

Chirping
Feb 11, 2019
I have a question. I have two Mallard duck, one male, one female. They will be one year old next month. They are quite a pair and I am fascinated by their personality.

In June of last year the female was laying eggs, but she was just dropping them in the yard. All total she laid 13and we tried incubating them in the house. They looked as though they were beginning to develop when we lost power for a few days and lost them. I don’t know if they would have hatched or not.

Recently, the end of December she began laying them again. Only this time she built a nest and began sitting on them. She built the nest outside of the hutch so we built another around her and put extra shavings and a heat lamp above the entrance where she is nesting. She has been sitting on them practically nonstop. However it has been over 6 weeks with no sign of hatching. I can’t get close enough to candle them and am afraid to pick them up.

Any comments, suggestions or any input to enlighten me as to what to do. If anything. Shouldn’t they have hatched by now?

Thanks, Brian

Welcome to BackYard Chickens! Thanks for joining! :frow

I think it takes a maximum of 29 days for the eggs to hatch, so your eggs might be infertile. You should try to find a way to candle them as it's not healthy for a duck to sit for that long.

Thank you, I think it has been too long. I noticed she walks hunched up when sh comes out. I have been worried. Wasn’t sure whether to take an egg and candle it. If I did I was afraid to put it back.
Thank you

Thank you, I think it has been too long. I noticed she walks hunched up when sh comes out. I have been worried. Wasn’t sure whether to take an egg and candle it. If I did I was afraid to put it back.
Thank you
No problem. Your duck seems like a dedicated girl! Once she gets a break, you could buy fertilized eggs for her to hatch.

Thank you

I am concerned about how she will react if we candle an egg and find them dead or infirtle and we remove all of the eggs when she leaves the nest. Any input on that?

Back
Top Bottom