New to the whole chicken thing!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TheChickenCameFirst, Aug 11, 2010.

1. TheChickenCameFirst

TheChickenCameFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Greetings from the countryside of NH!

I am a 24 year old mother of one baby girl, and one puppy [​IMG] I'm looking to expand our family by a few... feathered friends!!

I'm new to the whole chicken thing, let alone this site! I'm a farm girl by birth, I grew up raising pigs, ponies and dogs, but chickens are new to me! I am now living on a three acre lot, and my husband and I would like to have a "Back-yard homestead". We have had a nice garden for the three years we have been living here, and we are planning on going bigger next year, and adding the fun of chickens.

We are having fun with all the planning, and my hubby is designing the coop, and planning on building it soon! I am hoping to be able to glean chickie wisdom off the wise chicken owners I hope to befriend here! Thanks in advance!

I'll see you out there. [​IMG]

2. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] I am the same was around other animals growing up but not around chickens....I got cute little chicks this past spring and now they are 16 weeks old... I am just waiting on the first egg [​IMG] this forum has been awesome any question you have is answered!!! Oh and everyone is very helpful...........have fun

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    [​IMG] from Illinois. I am new too. Just got our chickens in May. Got our first eggs 3 days ago. Warning raising chickens is more addictive than crack. [​IMG] Since May I started with 2 RIR added 6 RIR got 7 barred rocks that 5 ended up being roos. 3 black australorps 1 ended up being a roo. 2 americaunas 4 naked necks and a little I dont know what named Princess. So be forwarned! [​IMG]

4. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    [​IMG] from Texas! This forum is addicting! Everyone is so nice and helpful; you'll really like it...

5. TheChickenCameFirst

[​IMG] I'm looking forward to being addicted! (And trying to get my hubby addicted too! ha ha)

Thanks so much for the welcomes! I'm looking forward to spending time learning all I can!

6. In His Service

In His Service Wise Men Still Seek Him

Apr 25, 2010
    Catskills
    [​IMG] from NY.

We got our first chickens in Feb, in the middle of a heavy wet snowstorm We have had 2 hens hatch eggs, hatched one in an incubator, bought baby chicks, and now due to chicken math, have over 25 birds...yes, it is addicting. [​IMG]

7. TheChickenCameFirst

I can't wait! This is something I'm willing to get addicted too! Thanks everyone!

8. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    [​IMG] from Maine, I to just got into chicks this may, and i am totally addicted, this weekend will be starting the incubating on some new silkies, So be prepared to become totally addicted hehe

9. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Welcome~ you are gonna love it here. so much help and info.

10. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Greetings from Tucson, AZ and [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by