New to the World of Chickens

Waters-flock

Chirping
Dec 17, 2020
Central Texas Hill Country
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We had chickens when I was very young and loved it. Now I'm very old and decided it was time to have chickens again. I retired about a year ago and we just moved to a place with enough space to keep chickens.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I
just ordered 8 chicks to arrive at the end of February. We are building the chicken coop in the next few weeks.

(3) What breeds will you have?

2 Orpingtons, 2 Australoops, 1 Easter Egger, 1 Silver Cuckoo Marans, and 2 Red Stars. I tried to pick breeds that were calm and would make easy chicks to start with. We have room to have more chickens over time but I wanted to start out with a smaller number.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

Since I retired, we have been looking for ways to slow our lives down - we moved from a big city in California to a small rural town in Texas. We've also been looking for ways to become more self-sustaining. Chickens fit into that nicely.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

We used to love traveling and have done quite a bit but now that we have more space and the world continues to discourage traveling, I am pretty happy just staying close to home. I love to read, enjoy knitting and weaving (although I'm not very good at it) yet, and love to go for long walks with my husband and our dogs.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I am happily married to my best friend - married for almost 30 years, together for 34 years. I have a grown son who lives close by. I am retired now but was a business manager for a NASA facility for over 40 years. We have two beautiful greyhound dogs who are also getting older, just like us.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D

We moved to Texas about six months ago and in that time, we've been doing work to the house and just getting settled in. I knew I wanted chickens and looked for a good place when we we looking at homes to buy. I've been researching chickens off and on for years but have been intensely researching over the last six months in preparation. This website has come up in my research more than once but I decided now that I've ordered my chicks, it was time to get into a community of experts.

Back
Top Bottom