New to this breed

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by monkey moo, Aug 2, 2016.

1. monkey moo

monkey moo New Egg

Aug 2, 2016
    Hi my name is melissa. We have been rasing chickens for at least 9 years. We usually stay with 1 or 2 breeds but this year we have multiple breeds with 3-5 each. With about 20 chickens give or take a few. We have rainbow layers this year thought the kids would love the different color of eggs. We got them in march but they are not laying yet. Is it just the breed or are we doing something wrong? They were out in the yard eating until they found our garden now they stay in a big pin until garden season is over. Help!!!

2. Blackberry18

Blackberry18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2015
    Minnesota
    Hi, welcome to BYC! I'm sure you'll find this website very helpful and educational. As for your question, don't expect them to lay anytime too soon. Chickens usually start laying at 6 months of age. My birds were born in February and just started laying last week, so it takes time.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Melissa, and :welcome. Happy you joined our community. I added a few hens in mid March this year and only two of the twelve have started laying yet. I'd say any day you'll have a surprise waiting for you in the nesting box! Good luck to you! :)

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Melissa and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Seems like it's a waiting game for eggs - sorry.

Best wishes
    Ct

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens Melissa, it's very nice to meet you.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by