New to this breed

monkey moo

Hatching
Aug 2, 2016
Hi my name is melissa. We have been rasing chickens for at least 9 years. We usually stay with 1 or 2 breeds but this year we have multiple breeds with 3-5 each. With about 20 chickens give or take a few. We have rainbow layers this year thought the kids would love the different color of eggs. We got them in march but they are not laying yet. Is it just the breed or are we doing something wrong? They were out in the yard eating until they found our garden now they stay in a big pin until garden season is over. Help!!!

Hi my name is melissa. We have been rasing chickens for at least 9 years. We usually stay with 1 or 2 breeds but this year we have multiple breeds with 3-5 each. With about 20 chickens give or take a few. We have rainbow layers this year thought the kids would love the different color of eggs. We got them in march but they are not laying yet. Is it just the breed or are we doing something wrong? They were out in the yard eating until they found our garden now they stay in a big pin until garden season is over. Help!!!
Hi, welcome to BYC! I'm sure you'll find this website very helpful and educational. As for your question, don't expect them to lay anytime too soon. Chickens usually start laying at 6 months of age. My birds were born in February and just started laying last week, so it takes time.

Greetings from Kansas, Melissa, and :welcome. Happy you joined our community. I added a few hens in mid March this year and only two of the twelve have started laying yet. I'd say any day you'll have a surprise waiting for you in the nesting box! Good luck to you! :)

Hi Melissa and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. Seems like it's a waiting game for eggs - sorry.

Best wishes
Ct

Back
Top Bottom