new to this chick thing

twinsinpa

In the Brooder
May 6, 2020
I have 3 chicks about 3 wks old and 1 guinea about 4 wks old and another guinea 1 wk old in the brooder together. I am wondering why they still seem so afraid of me. I think its the older guinea that freaks out the most and gets the chicks all worked up. i try to handle them but i am afraid to hold the larger guinea anymore that she would get away. should i move them to the coop soon? they still have the heat lamp on them. but its about 60 at night here now. in PA. i wanted them to be friendly but they seem so scared all the time.

Put your hand in with some treats or feed and let them explore it. You can also let them perch on you if they don't like being held. And NO you should not move them to the coop yet. Wait until about 6 weeks

Put your hand in with some treats or feed and let them explore it. You can also let them perch on you if they don't like being held. And NO you should not move them to the coop yet. Wait until about 6 weeks
thank you - this seems to be working. we made them a larger brooder as they were outgrowing the plastic bin i had them in. now i can sit and look in on them instead of down at them.. they seem less afraid. giving some meal worms helps!! they are not eating from my hand yet but i hope soon. i am afraid to have them perch on me because i wouldn't want to lose one!! how do i know it wont run away?

thank you - this seems to be working. we made them a larger brooder as they were outgrowing the plastic bin i had them in. now i can sit and look in on them instead of down at them.. they seem less afraid. giving some meal worms helps!! they are not eating from my hand yet but i hope soon. i am afraid to have them perch on me because i wouldn't want to lose one!! how do i know it wont run away?
Baby chicks take awhile to get off of a roosting area. You’ll probably be able to see it getting ready to fly away, in which case You can just put it back in.

I’m new to chicks too. I read an article here on BYC about putting the chick brooder on a table from the start so that you can interact with them at eye level instead of overhead which scares them. I put my brooder on a dresser in the guest room (!) and I could sit in a chair and reach in easily. They run up to me whenever I approach them, getting right in my hand. I’ve even had them go to sleep in my hand. I think the positioning makes a big difference in how they respond.

Back
Top Bottom