New to this Designed this coop as I went,What do u think? Any tips?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Joe.G, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    The coop is 6X8 with about 8 ft ceilings, I built it out of Rough Cut Pine for the Boards and Hemlock for the Batten, There is about three foot of space under the coop so the Chickens can come out of coop, I may build a bigger run but my plan is to allow them to free range, I live in farm country and have plenty of land.

I Plane to get 2 Guinea Hens, 1 Rooster and 9 Chickens of assorted kinds. I am new to this. I have a Rabbit Hutch Built for two rabbits off the front, I have a removable divider if they get a long they can be together if not they will be in there own area. I am not a carpenter I just got a pile of Lumber and started building. I have about $600.00 Dollars into it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. silkies4me

silkies4me Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2011
    Edgerly Louisiana
    That is a really awesome chicken house! Not a carpenter my behind! I wish my husband could take lessons from you!
    [​IMG]:drool
    GREAT JOB!

3. Hunter0704

Hunter0704 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2011
    Wentzville, MO
    Your coop looks really nice and you did a great job!!! Wondering where your vents are? If you don't have any, you will need to place at least one vent towards the top of the coop. In the winter moisture from your chickens breathing and moisture from their poop will gather and rise, thus causing illness in your birds unless it is vented. I have a house wall vent in my coop that is open year round..it is in the peak side wall. Also, make sure you have no drafts. The locks you have on your doors, raccoons can open so you may want to add locks to them. Your 6 x 8 run under the coop, is a bit small for all the 12 birds you want to get. Guineas are rather large by themselves. In the winter they may not be able to free range due to inclement weather, depending on where you live.

I don't know anything about rabbits and chickens having a fenced wall between them. Maybe someone else can say something on that.

Congrats on your set up and becoming a new chicken family!!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  4. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    My suggestion would be to move it to MY yard! Great coop. They will love the natural perches.

5. FarmerMel

FarmerMel Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    Well I am just going to have to say that that is one of the best looking coops that I have ever seen! Sure you are a first time carpenter? [​IMG] I've never had rabbits and chickens together, but I know some people who do, and sometimes the chickens have a squabble with the rabbits, and some times not... guess it just depends.

Some suggestions...
    Are your roosts 12 inches apart, width wise...? I couldn't really tell from the picture, because they might end up pooping on each other. Your chickens might want to roost on top of the nesting box also...
    Will you be doing the deep litter method? The shavings will fall out of the pop door you have on the floor...

Love your rottweiler dog!!! I used to have one, was the best dog I have ever had!

6. momma of a chicken lover

momma of a chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Wow!!!!!

7. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Your coop is gorgeous! Really great job! I do agree that you should add ventilation, and possibly an extended run for winter time (depending how bad your winter's are). I think You will have some very happy birds, if you are bored feel free to come build one for me [​IMG]

8. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Don't ever say you're not a carpenter ever again! Your workmanship is awesome. I love the look of the rough pine. The only thing I would change is to replace the perches with a thicker branch or a 2x4 with the broad side up. Your chickens will all perch on the highest perch. With all the weight on the top perch, it's gonna fall. (learned from experience). I agree that the area beneath the coop is too small for 10 chickens and you may consider extending that in the future. Over crowded chickens will fight and pick each other and can be prone to disease. Excellent design. I love that you included the bunny hut which could also be used to house quail![​IMG]

9. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Quote:X2! (Beautiful coop!)

10. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    I will echo the ventation remark. this is a very tight coop. Chickens are better cold with air, than warm without air.
    but gorgeous coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by