New to this forum

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jack Gutwein, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Jack Gutwein

Jack Gutwein Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2017
    Melrose
    Hi All,my name is Jack and I am 67 years old. I live in North Florida and I have had my Rhode Island Reds for 2 years now. They are very spoiled and they follow me when I free range them. I just got 2 more hens and a rooster today. He is a handsome fellow but he is kind of aggressive to my Rhode Island Reds. I have a total of 6 hens and one rooster. I enjoy my chickens a lot. When I open my front door my girls come running to the fence to see me. I have the rooster in confinement right now until I slowly introduce him to the hens. I am not sure if I am doing the right thing so I would be glad to hear comments from all. I think this is the amount I am going to stay with until I see how things go. I keep the hens in a pen that is covered with deer netting to keep the hawks from getting them. I am going to build a chicken coop before winter comes, I will be looking at plans from this site.

Smuvers Farm, rjohns39, N F C and 3 others like this.
  2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    :welcomeJack, it's nice to meet you.

rjohns39 likes this.
  4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Jack :frow Welcome!

Sorry, I have no experience with roosters as we are not allowed to have them. However, Adding a Rooster to the Flock just happens to be the current ‘Topic of the Week’ and can be found here https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/topic-of-the-week-adding-a-rooster-to-the-flock.1203482/

Personally, I have found the Topic of the Week articles a great resource and a one stop shop for questions which may have already been discussed within the BYC membership group.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

rjohns39, N F C and Pork Pie Ken like this.
  5. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Welcome Cool.gif

The Rooster might settle in. Sometimes it takes some time to get used to new flock members

sourland, rjohns39 and N F C like this.
  6. Dee Dee N Desiree

Dee Dee N Desiree Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2017
    Hi Jack, isn't that just the best when they come running because they hear or see you. My flock is only 6 months old and I don't have a rooster so I can't help you. I just joined the site yesterday and wanted to say "Hi". I wish you the best!

rjohns39 and N F C like this.
  7. Jack Gutwein

Jack Gutwein Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2017
    Melrose
    I want to thank all who replied. This seems like I am really going to enjoy this site. I have a lot to learn and this is the place that will help me. Thank you!
    Jack

rjohns39, N F C and Pork Pie Ken like this.
  8. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Hi Jack, it's nice to have you here with us!

We used to live in north FL until last year (we moved to WY). Be sure to check out the FL state thread...there are a lot of active members there that can be very helpful with tips about dealing with the weather, swaps, etc. Here's a link to get you there: Florida

Best of luck!

rjohns39 likes this.
  9. rjohns39

rjohns39 Flock Master

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi Jack and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy that you've joined us:ya

N F C likes this.
  10. KikisGirls

KikisGirls I'll be back after the new year. Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX