1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New to this group - trying to identify new ducks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Ydanes, May 17, 2017.

1. Ydanes

Ydanes Just Hatched

May 17, 2017
    hey there,
    I have recently aquired a few new ducks (I currently gave Pekins) anyway, I was told this new larger one is a female Rouen but all the pics of femake Rouens i see do not have green heads so im confused.
    Also, 2 young ducklings that I believe are Rouen but no clue how to sex them. Any info is appreciated!

2. Tlmcq

Tlmcq Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Mason,OH
    My Coop
    Do you have pics? Rouen are similar to mallards, but much bigger. If has green head it's male. Once ducklings get older you can tell male and female from quack or male's have a feather that curls on top of tail, called a Drake feather. Also with Rouen or Mallard males and females are colored different. A Rouen is a big duck a Mallard is quite small in comparison.

Ydanes and drumstick diva like this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Ydanes likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. Agree with Timcq

Ydanes likes this.
  5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Welcome to BYC!

Ydanes likes this.
  6. Ydanes

Ydanes Just Hatched

May 17, 2017
    The adult does have a green head but no curled tail feather so im confused, lol

Attached Files:

7. Tlmcq

Mar 17, 2017
    Mason,OH
    My Coop
    Definitely male with that green head and yellow bill. It may have molted and its Drake feather not come in yet. Can't tell from pic if he has it or not. As far as breed would need size comparison. How big is he compared to your Pekin? A mallard will be much much smaller than Pekin. Some Rouen can be almost as big as Pekin. The ducklings look like Rouen due to 2 eye stripes, but that isn't 100% occasionally mallards will have 2 also but one on bottom will usually fade out in few weeks

8. Tlmcq

Mar 17, 2017
    Mason,OH
    My Coop
    Oh and one more thing... Females have the loud typical quack and male's will barely quack or have whispery raspy quack. Although, neither will be as loud of a quacker as the Perkins...Lol. they can be noisy lil buggers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by