New to this group - trying to identify new ducks

Ydanes

In the Brooder
May 17, 2017
hey there,
I have recently aquired a few new ducks (I currently gave Pekins) anyway, I was told this new larger one is a female Rouen but all the pics of femake Rouens i see do not have green heads so im confused.
Also, 2 young ducklings that I believe are Rouen but no clue how to sex them. Any info is appreciated!

Do you have pics? Rouen are similar to mallards, but much bigger. If has green head it's male. Once ducklings get older you can tell male and female from quack or male's have a feather that curls on top of tail, called a Drake feather. Also with Rouen or Mallard males and females are colored different. A Rouen is a big duck a Mallard is quite small in comparison.

Do you have pics? Rouen are similar to mallards, but much bigger. If has green head it's male. Once ducklings get older you can tell male and female from quack or male's have a feather that curls on top of tail, called a Drake feather. Also with Rouen or Mallard males and females are colored different. A Rouen is a big duck a Mallard is quite small in comparison.
The adult does have a green head but no curled tail feather so im confused, lol

Attachments

• IMG_8338.JPG
    IMG_8338.JPG
    838.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_8349.JPG
    IMG_8349.JPG
    596.5 KB · Views: 4
Definitely male with that green head and yellow bill. It may have molted and its Drake feather not come in yet. Can't tell from pic if he has it or not. As far as breed would need size comparison. How big is he compared to your Pekin? A mallard will be much much smaller than Pekin. Some Rouen can be almost as big as Pekin. The ducklings look like Rouen due to 2 eye stripes, but that isn't 100% occasionally mallards will have 2 also but one on bottom will usually fade out in few weeks

Oh and one more thing... Females have the loud typical quack and male's will barely quack or have whispery raspy quack. Although, neither will be as loud of a quacker as the Perkins...Lol. they can be noisy lil buggers.

Back
Top Bottom