new to this, just a quick question

tamelroy

Songster
11 Years
Jan 19, 2009
Mass
I don't buy the meat birds, but we do use our egg layers, or roos. My question is, how do you get the feathers off, or should I say hair? I never can seem to get it all off. Then I have to rush to get the skin off when cooked because if my kids see it they will not eat the chicken! lol

Thanks guys!

Well, do you scald them first before you begin plucking? That makes it easier to get the feathers out. Also sometimes you need some pliars to pick out stubborn quills......

No, hubby just takes every thing out and starts ripping feathers.

Thanks for the info! I want to try to get meat birds this year and I want to do it right so I don't gross out the kids! lol

There are several different wasy to process chickens. If you don't wanna worry about all those feathers, you can skin a chicken too, which is alot easier than plucking. I do love fried chicken skin though when it's prepared right, but people want to be healthy now, so skinning is a great idea.

I can't really explain it all but you can google something like "how to dress a chicken" or "How do you skin a chicken" and there are some very detailed instructions with illustrations.......

Scalding will definitely help though with the plucking!

Have a great weekend!
Sharon

We use a turkey fryer and heat the water to between 140 & 150 degrees. Dip them for a minute or two and pinch/scratch the skin on his leg, when that comes off, he's ready.. Don't do it for more than 2 minutes or you'll over cook it and the skin will rip when plucking. Then dip him in ice water real quick to stop the heat from continuing. Pluck the wings and tail feathers out first as those areas cool quicker. Takes me less than 5 minutes to pluck one.

Last edited:
I had a couple drops of lemon dish soap to the scald water. Helps with saturation and knocks down the smell.

For the hairs... you want to singe them off. The older the bird... the more the hairs. I use a hand help propane torch... singes them off really easy.

[ in the good old days
old.gif
] We occasionally dry plucked one , but always scalded them if butchering several . We called those " hairs " the " pin feathers " and they were " singed " or burnt off either over a flame on the kitchen stove or over the bed of coals that was used to heat the scald pot .

Back
Top Bottom