new to this, lots of ????????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cornelljacks, Jun 28, 2010.

1. cornelljacks

cornelljacks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    We recently hatched 8 chicks from eggs, that were given to us from my sons friend. Last night we found out what type of chickens they have. The father of all of the chicks is what they call an Isa Brown. They also have buff orpingtons, a silver laced wyondotte and a pure white chicken that they believe to be but are not certain is a white leghorn. With this information is there a way to sex link these babies??? Like I said I am new to this whole thing... Any help would be appreciated.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I am the world's worst at breeds, hopefully someone else will know!

3. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    My guess, 1,2,3,5,8 are roos. 4,6,7, are pullets. Just a guess. At this age it is to early to be certainl.

Have fun,

Rancher

4. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    The ISA brown is a sex link but it only works for that generation so none of its offspring will be sex linked. As for breeds, they are all barnyard mutts since daddy was a hybrid to begin with. As for the white chicken, did it lay a white egg? If so, and you hatched a white egg, then that chick will be half white leghorn half daddy. If you had all brown eggs you hatched it's possible they have a white leghorn and you just didn't get an egg from her or they have a white rock, white wyandotte, white cochin, etc. I'm not seeing any feathered legs/feet so I doubt they had a white cochin.

Good luck, barnyard mixes are usually very pretty!

5. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    My guess is that 1,4,6 are roosters and 2,3,5,7,8 are pullets, But it is still quite early too tell!
    Since they are mixed breeds, you might get some hybrid vigor ( More eggs, bigger bird, ect).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by