New to this - setting up and need some advice

Pam771771

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 4, 2013
Hi all,

So I'm planning to get a couple of pet chickens, and am currently setting up my coup and run.

I have a perfect sized space in my garden for the coop and run to go, and I plan to keep my chickens in the run rather then have them free range.

2 issues really:

1) My run is approx. 190cm x 75cm, I plan to buy medium sized chickens. As I want to keep them in the run all the time, what is the max number of chickens that I should have. I really want 3 but I'm worried that the run is too small and that I should just get 2. What do you think?

2) The area that I want to put my coop and run is currently a gravelled area (with pretty large rough gravel). I thought I'd dig out all the gravel as I felt it would be too rough on the chickens feet. However, after some rain all I have now is a big muddy puddle (clearly the drainage is rubbish and the gravel was actually draining the area!!). My plan now is to put the gravel back, and then put on top of the gravel wood chippings. Will this be ok? Or do I need to put down something instead of the gravel? and if so what? Any suggestions welcome, as I'm desperate to go and buy the chickens but obviously I need to sort out their living quarters first!!

Thanks
Pam

Back
Top Bottom