New to this site and chickens !!

3girlz

In the Brooder
Dec 15, 2015
Delburne alberta
Hi there ! I recently decided to pursue a dream to move out into the country ! I am new to gardening and to chickens ! Although I'm in the love with both already ! We have 3 isa browns .

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! It's so nice to hear you have been able peruse your dream of moving to the country :D It sounds like you are enjoying very much. I too started out with ISA brown or warrens as they are known over here in the UK. They were lovely ladies amd great egg layers too.

Good luck for the future. Be sure to ask any questions that you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.

Enjoy BYC :frow

:frow Hi Carolynne! :oops: did i get that right? My memorys not so great, i peake to see where you are :) :lau welcome to the life! I too moved into the country and started only recently, with three just like you, i never had a
Chicken before but i have kept exotics for years ;) i supose your chicken math hasnt set in yet, (dont worry give it a little time :lau ) but im up to about 30 adult birds, and i started incubating :D so theres also 30 littles ;) :oops: thats whts left of the about 100 ive hatched :)

What sort of coop and run setup are you using? A neighbors dog got two of my birds when i started :( ill save you that trouble if i can!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Isa Brown is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links and they are laying machines. You should get loads of large brown eggs from those 3 girls. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

welcome-byc.gif

Thank you !!! For the welcome !!
Yes we are really loving the country !! We had a big garden and enjoyed eating fresh veggies !!!
Currently I'm trying to talk my husband in raising beef cattle , we will see he's abit of a reluctant farmer !!
I do have a question , I'm not sure if this is where I ask it but how cold is too cold for chickens ?
It will be -18 tonight .

Thank you !!! For the welcome !!
Yes we are really loving the country !! We had a big garden and enjoyed eating fresh veggies !!!
Currently I'm trying to talk my husband in raising beef cattle , we will see he's abit of a reluctant farmer !!
I do have a question , I'm not sure if this is where I ask it but how cold is too cold for chickens ?
It will be -18 tonight .

You're welcome. Isa Browns (Red Sex Links) are a cold hardy hybrid, recommended even for Alaska's brutal winters by Alaska Backyard Chickens (see http://akchickens.org/getting-started/recommended-breeds/--the last paragraph in the article). They will do fine in your winter temperatures as long as their coop is draft free, dry, and well-ventilated to prevent moisture from building up inside of it. Feathers are a wonderful insulators and moisture is a much greater danger than cold. I would however recommend putting some Vaseline on their combs and wattles to reduce the danger of frostbite in those non-feathered extremities.

Back
Top Bottom