New to this site and chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by jakell2010, Jul 23, 2011.

1. jakell2010

jakell2010 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    Hello all,,,,,,I just convinced my SO to let me get the chickens I've wanted for a long time ,,,,,I got a 4x6 metal roof coop with 8 nest boxes, I got 4 red sex links , and 3 buff orpingtons, and one "other" so 8 in total,,,,,got the coop Monday and the chickens on Tuesday, I built a 4x8x4h run for them with two feeders and 2 waterers.

I let them out for the first time today, 2 of the Buffs are older and more adventurous, and they took off to explore, two of the RIR went into the woods, now we don't have A LOT of predators around here because we are over run wit rabbits right now, but I spent about an hour running thru thornny scrub to try and get this one girl out of the woods;). After I finally gave up and was laying on the grass having resigned her to her own fate,,,she came strolling out of the bushes like nothing was wrong.[​IMG]

How much should I feed theses ladies, and the feeders are un covered, can the feed get wet?, should it rain,,it' s in the 90's and I've been keeping the water full.

Trying not to make any STUPID AMATEUR mistakes that cost one of my chickens it's life

I am in rural New York State

Joe:)

2. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    [​IMG] Welcome! Sounds like you have some adventurous ladies [​IMG] I would cover the feeders - if it gets wet it can get moldy. And keep making sure the water is full. Especially in this heat wave. I have an extra bowl out there and I keep filling it with ice cubes during the day - we are pushing 100F without the heat index down here in NC. Sounds like you are doing just fine! [​IMG]

3. Leia's Chickens

Leia's Chickens A Sunkissed Delight

Jun 20, 2010
    Oklahoma!
    [​IMG] from OKlahoma ! Glad you joined! [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Welcome to the wonderful world of chickens. Try to keep their feed dry. Be aware that most of the rest of the world wants to eat your chickens. Do your best to fortify their coop and enclosure. Good luck and enjoy.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Hello and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

10. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Hello, if people think your nuts for having chickens, you have found a refuge here. LOL. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by