CloneFly

Never say Never
Premium Feather Member
Mar 8, 2022
After all this time of saying, "No ducks" I now have a little rescue duckling -_-

Oh well, I've raised a goose before, so how much different could it be?

Well, maybe it's my faulty memory, but I don't remember our gosling shaking while eating... or blowing bubbles out of his nose while drinking... or sneezing water/b12 out his nose.

The duckling is otherwise acting normal. There's a lot of talking, she's nibbling my necklace and is currently trying to eat her bed shavings😅 I do want to make sure she's alright though. If any of you have any additional tips as well on raising pekin ducks, I'd greatly appreciate it!

(P.S, no, we're not looking to get more ducks. I know they're social animals, but we really just can't take on another right now. She will be center of love and attention though!)

I don’t have Pekins but just wanted to say that is one precious duckling❤️
You can use puppy pee pads over the shavings to keep the lil one from eating the shavings.
Thank you!! Is it normal for ducklings to shake their heads like that though? And blow bubbles?😅

After all this time of saying, "No ducks" I now have a little rescue duckling -_-

Well, maybe it's my faulty memory, but I don't remember our gosling shaking while eating... or blowing bubbles out of his nose while drinking... or sneezing water/b12 out his nose.

The duckling is otherwise acting normal. There's a lot of talking, she's nibbling my necklace and is currently trying to eat her bed shavings😅 I do want to make sure she's alright though. If any of you have any additional tips as well on raising pekin ducks, I'd greatly appreciate it!

(P.S, no, we're not looking to get more ducks. I know they're social animals, but we really just can't take on another right now. She will be center of love and attention though!)
I’ve seen that before in ducklings when they take several mouthfuls before getting water to wash it down she looks just fine what a cutie

We tried to warn you! It's impossible to resist!

She sure is a cutie!
Head shaking side to side, or forward and back? The forward and back motion just seems to be her swallowing the food.
If head shaking side to side, it could be due to the food being dry. If my girlie eats anything dry, she dislikes the texture and shakes her head side to side to get it out of her mouth.
If that's what it is, you could try feeding wet food, easier to swallow down, just a thought

BTW since she's an only baby, she may benefit from a little mirror, helps with loneliness when you aren't there

We tried to warn you! It's impossible to resist!

She sure is a cutie!
Head shaking side to side, or forward and back? The forward and back motion just seems to be her swallowing the food.
If head shaking side to side, it could be due to the food being dry. If my girlie eats anything dry, she dislikes the texture and shakes her head side to side to get it out of her mouth.
If that's what it is, you could try feeding wet food, easier to swallow down, just a thought

BTW since she's an only baby, she may benefit from a little mirror, helps with loneliness when you aren't there
She shakes back and forth- it honestly looks adorable lol.

I was thinking about a mirror, but she demands either human presence or the rubber ducky song from sesame street... she starts screaming until we play the song. Needless to say, I've been without my phone for the last 24hrs :rolleyes:

She shakes back and forth- it honestly looks adorable lol.

I was thinking about a mirror, but she demands either human presence or the rubber ducky song from sesame street... she starts screaming until we play the song. Needless to say, I've been without my phone for the last 24hrs :rolleyes:
They find comfort in the strangest things, lol!
I do think she could still benefit from a little mirror though, or perhaps a plushie- whenever you, or your sesame street (lol), isn't around, it will offer a bit of "company".

The back and forth doesn't really look concerning to me, my adult girls do it to an extent, to throw the food back into their throats
I get it can look weird lol
Wetting the food may make that less dramatic, she'll likely have an easier time swallowing it
She seems okay to me

They find comfort in the strangest things, lol!
I do think she could still benefit from a little mirror though, or perhaps a plushie- whenever you, or your sesame street (lol), isn't around, it will offer a bit of "company".

The back and forth doesn't really look concerning to me, my adult girls do it to an extent, to throw the food back into their throats
I get it can look weird lol
Wetting the food may make that less dramatic, she'll likely have an easier time swallowing it
She seems okay to me
Thank you!!

One more question, is it normal for ducklings to appear intoed? She's been walking a bit funny- tripping over her feet and all (they appear to twist inward)

I can try to get a video later if that helps

Back
Top Bottom