New to this

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kmarvin, Oct 27, 2012.

1. kmarvin

kmarvin Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2012
    Northwest Alaska
    I'm new to chicken care and Inherited a flock of 5 hens and a rooster from some people who moved. They've just started laying eggs and it's been pretty exciting for the kids. We got 35 eggs last week! But, I am a bit worried about how these chickens will survive our arctic winter. It'll be their first. So, I joined this site for help! Great resource.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, kmarvin, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here. How arctic are you? I know a lot of folks on BYC raise birds through some pretty tough northern winters, You can find lots of information on BYC about this. I think the big thing is making sure they their water is thawed and providing them a draft-free coop and proper nutrition since they won't be getting much food on their own in the winter. They are able to keep pretty warm on their roost. Also, some breeds are better designed for the cold. What types do you have?

3. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    Hi, welcome to BYC from Wisconsin......glad u joined[​IMG]

4. BinaryChicken

BinaryChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  6. BackyardAnita

BackyardAnita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Yes, this is a very helpful website, I joined about a week or two ago i think.
    What breed of chickens do you have?
    Most breeds are hardy to winter. Most of their body is feathers which keep them nice and warm. Make sure you winterize the coop though!

7. BinaryChicken

BinaryChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

What location are you?

8. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    [​IMG]Hello and welcome to BYC from Kentucky!

[​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. kmarvin

kmarvin Out Of The Brooder

Oct 25, 2012
    Northwest Alaska
    I live in Northwest Alaska, about 100 miles south of the arctic circle. I have a small 8x6 insulated coop that I hope will give them enough protection. I'm not sure of the breed. They look like Plymouths but they have grey and pinkish feet. Maybe a cross between a Plymouth and Maran? They lay very brown eggs although not as brown as I'd expect if they were Marans.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by