New to this

Can you tell them apart? Usually when it's a free range flock they tend to all be the same variety and look almost identical. I have several mature white males and I only know who is who by what pen they are in!  Whatever you do don't show too much interest in that nest, they are smart and sneaky and a little too much interest could cause them to start laying somewhere else.  

It is a little hard to tell them apart, I have 4 brown hens, the one I am concerned with has a white drip of paint on her back. She was very interested in us painting the barn.
I have one that is mostly white but has black feathers. Out of the 4 brown hens, 2 stay with one of two larger hens(the other larger hen has the white spot). We try and let them be at this time of the year, I go out and make sure I see all my girls before I leave in the morning. I will remind my kids to stay away :)

It is a little hard to tell them apart, I have 4 brown hens, the one I am concerned with has a white drip of paint on her back. She was very interested in us painting the barn.
I have one that is mostly white but has black feathers. Out of the 4 brown hens, 2 stay with one of two larger hens(the other larger hen has the white spot). We try and let them be at this time of the year, I go out and make sure I see all my girls before I leave in the morning. I will remind my kids to stay away
smile.png

In case you missed it, I now have an egg bound hen as well. She is currently in my bathtub sauna, as we wait to see if she can pass this egg.

In case you missed it, I now have an egg bound hen as well. She is currently in my bathtub sauna, as we wait to see if she can pass this egg.

:( good luck. I told my kids and husband if we are lucky and have chick's we need to start socializing them so I can give them better care. I can't help but feel we made our hen more stressed by keeping her locked up and following her around making sure she is ok... we had backed off but then I seen the goo....

sad.png
good luck. I told my kids and husband if we are lucky and have chick's we need to start socializing them so I can give them better care. I can't help but feel we made our hen more stressed by keeping her locked up and following her around making sure she is ok... we had backed off but then I seen the goo....

Mine is not a very tame one either, but she is probably used to my pokings and proddings by now. I've had her about 9 years, and she's always been very healthy and a good strong layer, no idea why she is having difficulty this year.

Here is My lady, I got her in the milk house today, she is not really happy about this! I was able to see crusty yoak on her belly but not much more than that. She seems to be fine other than pacing around wanting out. How can I tell if she is done laying, this started on Saturday. Should I still try and get he in the tub?

Here is My lady, I got her in the milk house today, she is not really happy about this! I was able to see crusty yoak on her belly but not much more than that. She seems to be fine other than pacing around wanting out. How can I tell if she is done laying, this started on Saturday. Should I still try and get he in the tub?

Sorry about the late reply. Between dealing with my hen and also not feeling very well, I laid down early and never saw this. If she is acting okay and has no trouble walking, I would let her out and just keep an eye on her, I am guessing the yolk you see is from the problem egg, and hopefully it broke right after she laid it and not before. I have seen hens before that had problems passing an egg for several days, then finally passed it and stopped laying for weeks. Seems it can put the brakes on a laying cycle if the problem is bad enough. You could leave her in there for a couple days for observation, but I think that would be more stressful than she needs. If she is walking, acting fine and there is visible evidence (yolk) of a passed egg, I don't think the tub sauna treatment is warranted. She looks good in the photo. as well.

Sorry about the late reply. Between dealing with my hen and also not feeling very well, I laid down early and never saw this. If she is acting okay and has no trouble walking, I would let her out and just keep an eye on her, I am guessing the yolk you see is from the problem egg, and hopefully it broke right after she laid it and not before. I have seen hens before that had problems passing an egg for several days, then finally passed it and stopped laying for weeks. Seems it can put the brakes on a laying cycle if the problem is bad enough. You could leave her in there for a couple days for observation, but I think that would be more stressful than she needs. If she is walking, acting fine and there is visible evidence (yolk) of a passed egg, I don't think the tub sauna treatment is warranted. She looks good in the photo. as well.

I was thinking she looked pretty good yesterday. Thanks for all the advise. I love the BYC page, it has given me alot of great information!
It sounds like alot of people are having this issue this year! Hope your hen is coming around! Thank you again.

I was thinking she looked pretty good yesterday. Thanks for all the advise. I love the BYC page, it has given me alot of great information!
It sounds like alot of people are having this issue this year! Hope your hen is coming around! Thank you again.

Happy to say our girl laid her egg overnight. Keep us posted.
highfive.gif

Back
Top Bottom