New to turkey poults, have some questions

Poultlove

Hatching
Apr 26, 2021
Hello! I recently purchased some turkey poults, (BB white). I had a few questions
1. They peck the others in the mouth, is that play?
2. One of their poops is very watery, and sometimes orangey,
3. On week 3-4 do I change the temp from 85 to 75 degrees?
4. They were fed chicken starter at Tractor supply, ( 18% protein), Do we feed them that or the 30%, do we mix it? I'm worried about diarrhea

Hello! I recently purchased some turkey poults, (BB white). I had a few questions
1. They peck the others in the mouth, is that play?
2. One of their poops is very watery, and sometimes orangey,
3. On week 3-4 do I change the temp from 85 to 75 degrees?
4. They were fed chicken starter at Tractor supply, ( 18% protein), Do we feed them that or the 30%, do we mix it? I'm worried about diarrhea
1. Normal behavior. They are often trying to peck food off of each other's beaks.
2. May be normal but also may be abnormal. Make sure the orange color you are seeing is not blood. If it is blood you may want to treat them with Corid for coccidiosis.
3. I lower the brooder temperature by 5°F once a week. I start them at 90°F on day zero.
4. Switch them to the 30% protein turkey or game bird starter immediately. Feeding them the 18% chick starter is harmful to their development. It not only is deficient in protein but also has too low of concentrations lysine, methionine and niacin. The sooner you get the poults on a proper feed the better it will be for them.

1. Normal behavior. They are often trying to peck food off of each other's beaks.
2. May be normal but also may be abnormal. Make sure the orange color you are seeing is not blood. If it is blood you may want to treat them with Corid for coccidiosis.
3. I lower the brooder temperature by 5°F once a week. I start them at 90°F on day zero.
4. Switch them to the 30% protein turkey or game bird starter immediately. Feeding them the 18% chick starter is harmful to their development. It not only is deficient in protein but also has too low of concentrations lysine, methionine and niacin. The sooner you get the poults on a proper feed the better it will be for them.
What happens if I don't give it to them immediately ? I don't have the game bird right now.

Back
Top Bottom