new to turkeys......hatched turkey question.....

crazypoultrychx

Chirping
6 Years
May 13, 2013
New Orleans LA
so I have not so patiently waited for my turkeys to hatch from my incubator.....and I have NO clue what I am doing......but I do have a hen and a tom on my farm....(hence the eggs...lol).....so my question is.......now that I have 3 babies in the brooder.....they all 3 have this lil spike between their eyes......they look like uni-turkeys.......um.....after watching my tom....is that the thing that comes out of the toms head that they can retract at will.......or is it just a trait of all turkey babies........Im trying to figure out WTH im doing!!!!

any advise would be great!!!

so I have not so patiently waited for my turkeys to hatch from my incubator.....and I have NO clue what I am doing......but I do have a hen and a tom on my farm....(hence the eggs...lol).....so my question is.......now that I have 3 babies in the brooder.....they all 3 have this lil spike between their eyes......they look like uni-turkeys.......um.....after watching my tom....is that the thing that comes out of the toms head that they can retract at will.......or is it just a trait of all turkey babies........Im trying to figure out WTH im doing!!!!

any advise would be great!!!
The "lil spike between their eyes" is the snood. Yes it is the "thing that comes out of the tom's head that they can retract at will". All turkeys have a snood. The snood on a hen does not get as large as a tom's snood but it also does expand and contract but not to the extent that it will for a tom.

Back
Top Bottom