New to turkeys. Why does a turkey gobble?

beccaWA

Songster
9 Years
Feb 22, 2012
Eastern WA
Is my jake gobbling "at me"? I'm a little nervous around them (jake and jenny) because they are so large compared to my ducks and chickens!

I do go in the pen to feed them, but the bigger they get the more hesitant I am to hang out with them like when they were youngsters. They were quite tame as poults. I think they are about 4 months now.

Thanks for any advice, particularly in spotting aggression before I get mauled!

Turkeys will gobble, Particularly the males. The males gobble to attract females, Turkeys will gobble wherever they are. Its nothing to worry about
smile.png

-Mustang

Good news, thanks! (I'm a Nervous Nellie turkey owner I guess!)

When they get mature, though, are there signs of aggression I should worry about? I know the older roosters get, the more likely it is.

I've heard turkeys are more mellow, but it's good to know the signs cause they're so big! Thanks.

Turkeys don't really fight like roosters do over mates. Their 'fights' are all about posturing and display, not actual violence. For turkeys, whoever has the best display wins the hens.

Turkeys don't really fight like roosters do over mates. Their 'fights' are all about posturing and display, not actual violence. For turkeys, whoever has the best display wins the hens.

I can certainly disagree with this statement having seen plenty of bloody turkeys. They don't fight like roosters, it can get more violent since they are bigger.

I agree turkeys fights are just as bad as roosters, and probably worse, they go one for hours, the loser is often chased for days afterwards, and they get all swollen and beat up. Breaking them up is near impossible and a bit dangerous as they are big strong birds.

My turkeys gobble at every single noise, and display almost non stop all day.

Wild turkeys must be different. Lived in area with wild turkeys everywhere. Flocks of twenty birds were not uncommon, mostly males, never saw any fighting. Just a lot of strutting, gobbling, and posturing; even at the peak of breeding season.

I've never seen wild turkeys fighting either, the hen actively chooses her mate so there a dominance structure but sometimes it doesn't matter. Most fights will break out after a Tom mates and the others are frustrated. They also don't seem to worry about predators either like wild turkeys do, and are oblivious to their surroundings, so domesticated turkeys seem to have more free time on their hands for acting stupid, especially the males.

Back
Top Bottom