New to turkeys.

BlessedCountry6

Songster
5 Years
Mar 8, 2014
peace, hope and country
I just want to say hello. I am new to turkeys. I have chickens and ducks. So far my 4 turkeys are doing well. They are a bit diff than chickens and ducks; they are funny, perch young and hid anytime they are scared. Those are things I've noticed so far and we got them on April 19th.

Will I have to clip my turkeys winds so they don't fly over our fence?

welcome! and it depends what breed they are. if they are the broad breasted chances are you wont need to clip their wings. if they are a heritage breed then yes you will either have to clip their wings or put netting over the pen. i just got done building a new pen for my turkeys.

welcome! and it depends what breed they are. if they are the broad breasted chances are you wont need to clip their wings. if they are a heritage breed then yes you will either have to clip their wings or put netting over the pen. i just got done building a new pen for my turkeys. 

Thank you. That is what I thought from what I have read. We started out with a heritage breed.

Here is our little group huddled together.

Welcome.
As you'll find out turkeys are a lot more personable than any other bird in my opinion.

That looks like you got some chocolate turkey poults. Is that what they are.

Ok. I have some blue slates as well. You will like
Them.

One of my blue slate broodies just hatched a clutch at least 3 that's what I saw when I was checking them this afternoon.

Ok. I have some blue slates as well. You will like
Them.

One of my blue slate broodies just hatched a clutch at least 3 that's what I saw when I was checking them this afternoon.

How exciting!! I am hoping they are broody and I get one Tom and a few hens. Are there ways to tell them apart when they are little or do I just have to wait till they are older?

I just wait til older.

But a few things to watch. Toms have bigger snood body and feet.

Hens have small snood. And if looked at from above a hens head will look triangular.

And toms will sometimes strut and around a month old. But that doesn't always hold true as both can/will strut when younger.

I just wait til older.

But a few things to watch. Toms have bigger snood body and feet.

Hens have small snood. And if looked at from above a hens head will look triangular.

And toms will sometimes strut and around a month old. But that doesn't always hold true as both can/will strut when younger.

Thank you. Those are things I can look for. We have one that hops up on everything. Two always seem to hold their wings lower off and on. I've just noticed odd things that the chickens and ducks don't do. It's fun to watch. I'm not worried if they are boys or girls since this is our first batch. I am just watching and enjoying them.

Back
Top Bottom