New to Wisconsin & Chickens!

I ordered chicks from Meyer Hatchery that were supposed to be delivered this week and I’m 90% sure were lost in transit and/or are going to show up dead, so now I’m hoping to find someone local that I can maybe find babies from!

:welcome, welcome to the BYC forum.

Have you called Meyer Hatchery to verify if/when the chicks were shipped? I would not be too concerned if the delay was shipping from the hatchery, but if they have already shipped and are lost/delayed in the transportation, that would be more of a concern with live animals.

Sounds like you have a very nice place to raise some birds and I hope you enjoy them as much as I do raising my backyard flock. I'd suggest looking around your local area for farm stores that sell chicks and develop a relationship with them. I get my chicks locally from a Fleet store and a local hardware/farm store. If you are lucky, they might actually have someone there who has also raised poultry in your area and might be able to help you with advise.

Thanks so much everyone! My chicks are here and alive!

When I was in panic mode calling everyone along the USPS route, the first lady said that Meyer shipped the chicks a few minutes after the Monday cutoff, so they were scheduled to leave Cleveland Tuesday. Then they were in limbo with Fedex until they finallllllly showed up this morning! One of the USPS ladies guessed that maybe an original flight had dry ice and FedEx may have had to wait for the next one.

I'm copy/pasting this bit from another thread I replied in haha:

When we opened the box at the office, we were pretty positive that 2 were DOA and the lady kept apologizing on behalf of USPS. They were cold and unresponsive and kinda stiff and didn't look like they were breathing. Just for kicks, I stuck them under the heat lamp and dropped a tiny bit of electrolyte water on their beaks. They both breathed! One started doing the death gasp thing and I was sure she was a goner, but I kept bothering them with another drop of water every few minutes. They both perked up! Now the death rattle one is hogging the food dish and the other is cuddling with another. I'm not sure they're in the clear yet, but for now, they're all alive 🤞🤞🤞

I'm definitely going to look for someone more local instead of having the goslings shipped later this month, because I dunno if I can handle this stress again haha.

When I was in panic mode calling everyone along the USPS route, the first lady said that Meyer shipped the chicks a few minutes after the Monday cutoff, so they were scheduled to leave Cleveland Tuesday. Then they were in limbo with Fedex until they finallllllly showed up this morning! One of the USPS ladies guessed that maybe an original flight had dry ice and FedEx may have had to wait for the next one.

When we opened the box at the office, we were pretty positive that 2 were DOA and the lady kept apologizing on behalf of USPS. They were cold and unresponsive and kinda stiff and didn't look like they were breathing. Just for kicks, I stuck them under the heat lamp and dropped a tiny bit of electrolyte water on their beaks. They both breathed! One started doing the death gasp thing and I was sure she was a goner, but I kept bothering them with another drop of water every few minutes. They both perked up! Now the death rattle one is hogging the food dish and the other is cuddling with another. I'm not sure they're in the clear yet, but for now, they're all alive 🤞🤞🤞

I'm definitely going to look for someone more local instead of having the goslings shipped later this month, because I dunno if I can handle this stress again haha.

Awesome, so glad you got them and they're ok!

That's a wonderful update!!

Hi, and welcome to BYC! This is an amazing community of poultry lovers! Feel free to ask a by questions you may have, and make yourself at home here!
:D
:welcome
I’m so sorry about the shipping! I still hope they turn up alive! Sound like quite the wild array of animals!

Back
Top Bottom