New Tom

HChambers82

Chirping
Feb 16, 2019
South-Central Louisiana
I have 3 1yr old turkey hens (2 heritage Bourbon Red and 1 heritage Narragansett). I was wondering how I should introduce a 2yr old heritage Bronze Tom. My hens have never been exposed to a Tom. How difficult is this going to be?

I have 3 1yr old turkey hens (2 heritage Bourbon Red and 1 heritage Narragansett). I was wondering how I should introduce a 2yr old heritage Bronze Tom. My hens have never been exposed to a Tom. How difficult is this going to be?
It all depends on how the hens treat the new tom.

Keep the tom separate where the hens can see him but not get to him. Once they get acquainted by seeing and talking but not touching, let him in with them while you observe. There will most likely be plenty of strutting by the tom and possibly by your dominant hen. There may be some dominance fights. At two, he is experienced and should take over pretty quick.

If there are dominance fights, the more you interfere, the longer it will take for them to work things out.

Good luck.

It all depends on how the hens treat the new tom.

Keep the tom separate where the hens can see him but not get to him. Once they get acquainted by seeing and talking but not touching, let him in with them while you observe. There will most likely be plenty of strutting by the tom and possibly by your dominant hen. There may be some dominance fights. At two, he is experienced and should take over pretty quick.

If there are dominance fights, the more you interfere, the longer it will take for them to work things out.

Good luck.
Thank you! That's basically what I was thinking. But I'm new to turkeys. I've had lots of experience with chickens...

Back
Top Bottom