New tractor design questions

Construction has begun!

Here's a pic of my latest progress:

2myrtde.jpg

I have made some small tweaks to the design here and there. I'll update my progress as I go on my BYC page.

I really like your design and how your construction is coming along. I was planning to contruct an a-frame tractor, but I like this design so much I've changed my mind. I'll be interested to see the rest of your progress. Would you be willing to send me a copy of the sketchup drawings you used?

I'm going to hopefully complete construction over the winter and be ready for chicks in the spring! I've already hatched/raised some chicks from eggs for "fun" and sent them to a farm to live since I was not prepared to keep them and now I know I want to raise some to keep!

Thanks and keep the pictures coming!

I'm glad you like it! Yes, I'll upload my sketchup model to the web somewhere tonight and post a link. I've changed the design in little ways, here and there that makes things simpler and easier for construction. I'm actually working on the tractor right now (yeah I skipped work hah) and I'm hoping to have the majority of it completed either tonight or tomorrow; all I hope to have left to complete after this weekend is attaching the feeder and waterer/nipple system, and spraying the outside with waterproofing.

I hope you've been watching the progress on my BYC page. If not, the link is here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=42841-rossetti-tractor

I'll
update it later today with current pictures and info. What I'm really happy about is that I've more-or-less kept this under $250 total, the biggest expenses were the hardware cloth and the plywood. I'm 100% certain I could have scrounged up most of the plywood for free, but I just haven't had the time for that.

One other item of note: I've added the wheels on the back and have been using them to roll it in and out of my carport while working on it. They work rather well, but not so well in deep grass, because they're only 6" lawnmower wheels. Thankfully, because I put them on the heavy end of the tractor, it's easy (at least for me) to lift the other (light) end to move it around. I may add some kind of handle, though, to make that even easier.

Also, I think I might add some kind of simple cable bracing to it, the way it sits, there's too much flexibility on the side with the access door, causing it to settle more on one side than the other, making it difficult to open the door. If I add a cable brace to the run frame on that side, I could fix that... but I'm waiting to see if that's even necessary, or if it'll fix itself when I put up the hardware cloth on that side.

So, I've been monkeying around with the tractor, and decided the flimsy crappy plywood I used as a door wasn't gonna cut it. I took it off, and took it out back and shot it up with the rifle, and built a new henhouse door. I'm really pleased with the results, and wanted to brag!
smile.png

4085041620_791a39a0e9.jpg

Made it from a piece of 1x4 ($1.76) and a 1x2 furring strip ($2.25). The slats have 3/8" gap between them, so it's a door with ventilation (not that it needs it)! Chain is for the external control, and I'll be adding a little tension spring to keep it closing all the way.

More pics to come, and I'll update my BYC page, just been too busy and battling a cold.

I would look at the size again. Seems coop too small for 3 birds. If you will not change that, then at least do a bump-out for the nest box to save some floor space. For feed and water I use pvc plastic house guttering with end caps, set on shelves so that it can only be moved by lifting front edge first, and then sliding back towards me. I set those to where they are 8" off floor at top. No wasted food ever, and no spilled water, ever. They are inside of my coop which is 8x16. It may be that you should do all feed and water outside since the coop is so tiny. Do be sure not to trust chicken wire for the entire run. Put hardware cloth at minimum 24" ht around bottom perimeter. kBe sure run is tall enough for you to comfortably walk into.
wink.png

I have been reading your BYC page and I like all the pics and the coloration of the Google SketchUP. I'm hoping that since I have an extended timeline over the winter for construction completion that I'll be able to collect some free/cheap materials. I am also concerned about weight.. needs to be heavy enough to deflect predators, but light enough for me to move it around. So the less plywood the better! Let me know when you get a chance to upload the design files! Hope you get over your cold soon!

GSIM - why do you think that the coop is too small for 3 hens? I thought 3x3 would be plenty of room...Did you notice the new design has the nest box bumped out? PVC feeder mounted on a wall is a good idea for inside the coop. Also, I don't think the intent of this tractor is to be able to walk inside. In fact I am looking to build one that has a lower profile for "city" living (I actually live in a rural county but my house is very close to the neighbors).

This weekend kinda turned out to be a computer-free weekend, so I'm sorry I haven't updated anything or uploaded the sketchup file. I'm at work now, so no pics, but here's the sketchup file: http://rapidshare.com/files/304545637/tractor5.skp If I did it right.

Yes, there's 9 sq ft indoor space and 21 sq ft outdoor space, I think that's good enough for 3 birds in a tractor. And since I've already invested the time and money building it, I won't go back and re-design it anyways.

1 Florida chick: I was concerned about weight too. I too wanted it heavy enough to deter predators but light enough to move easily. So far, the weight is manageable, though I wouldn't think my little wife will be able to handle it. I toyed with the idea of adding levered wheels on both ends, but that's just too complicated and spendy.

About the plywood - I used the 11/32" plywood, it's pretty thin if you ask me, and I'm worried about it radiating heat in the winter, but we'll see how it goes. It's certainly not very heavy. Those are, of course, easily removable and upgradeable should need arise, but my gut tells me they'll be good enough.

Quote:
For wahtever it's worth, I think it should be FINE given that you are in Florida. And this is me saying this, the "15 sq ft per chicken indoors with an ample run also" person <g> I mean, all your chickens really need is somewhere to roost at night, right?

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Pat - thanks for your comments. You are right that since I'm in Florida the birds will just need a place to roost at night in the coop. I checked out your page today and I like your summer tractor and your method to open and close the pop door on the coop. I will have to work that in somehow.. I'm very concerned about security of the coop because we have a lot of empty lots behind the house and a state park and all kinds of critters are around..

Was able to throw the roof on and the rest of the hardware cloth. Ran out of screws but I thought I'd throw up a pic to share before I head out to buy the rest of the screws:

4094247110_30a1d61815.jpg

And a pic of Jenny because she wouldn't stop staring at me. My wife says Jenny's a rooster.

4094267072_c3ded19c49.jpg

Back
Top Bottom