New Turkey Babies

Lol, it doesn't matter what you do, it will always be wrong in someone's eyes. Anyways, my one poult is running around fine and is very alert like all the rest, but the second I open the brooder to put my hand in there to change the water, etc, it kind of freezes up. Like won't run away, try to jump away from me, etc. Will this be a problem or is it just fear? When I just watch from the door it is running and playing with the rest of the flock.

Lol, it doesn't matter what you do, it will always be wrong in someone's eyes. Anyways, my one poult is running around fine and is very alert like all the rest, but the second I open the brooder to put my hand in there to change the water, etc, it kind of freezes up. Like won't run away, try to jump away from me, etc. Will this be a problem or is it just fear? When I just watch from the door it is running and playing with the rest of the flock.
If you just leave your hand in there, the poult will come up to it. The current behavior is most likely due to the instinctive fear of anything approaching from above.

I've started socializing them and they are the sweetest! Both fell asleep on me!

Attachments

• 20200520_123031.jpg
    20200520_123031.jpg
    523.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200520_121717.jpg
    20200520_121717.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 3
Ive brooded, turkeys, guineas and chickens together, even as a staggered hatch and they did fine. I use a heating plate in a ferret cage with 3 levels , so that provides hiding places for smaller babies.

Attachments

• $_3.jpg
    $_3.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 0
Ive brooded, turkeys, guineas and chickens together, even as a staggered hatch and they did fine. I use a heating plate in a ferret cage with 3 levels , so that provides hiding places for smaller babies.
Ohhh that seems like a good idea! I wouldn't have thought of that. I would be worried of some falling or being pushed off and breaking something though

Back
Top Bottom