New Turkey Babies

FeatherLace

Chirping
Apr 7, 2020
Waycross, Georgia
So I have a few questions here. So my chickens are 9 weeks old and in the coop permanently now, and I have a new batch of babies in the brooder. The brooder is extremely mixed species, with 6 guineas, a duck, and two turkeys. That leads me to my first question: Will that be okay since they are all one day olds? On that note, I am feeding all three species 24% chick starter that has 55 ppm Niacin in it, will that be okay for everyone? Its meant for the guineas and turkeys but will the duck be okay on it or will he need more Niacin supplement? And I have NEVER raised turkeys before, can anyone give me tips on what they need? They are Bourbon Reds, and I don't know how to sex them or tell if they're healthy. One of them is running around and staying with the flock, but the other one just seems exhausted. I've seen it just kind of standing alone and not moving, but when I kinda tap its butt or try to pick it up to get it to move it'll run to its buddies. Is it just scared from transport or what could be the issue? When I chose it from the bin it was running with the others and not staying still like it is now. Do turkeys need to be socialized or are they wild like guineas? Can they eventually be put in with my chickens? Etc etc, just any advice about turkey poults please!

I have never brooded turkey poults, but I have a full grown adult turkey, and he is right in the middle of my chickens and Muscovy ducks. I have never had any problems with blackhead (that is not saying that I never will), but he does very well. I have fed him cracked corn from when I got him, and he is healthy and shows no signs of being underfed, that's for sure! ;) the only issues I have had is the rooster bosses him around, and he can tend to walk over top of my hens (he does not watch where he is going: he just goes!) and boss the ducks. But he is happy excepting the fact he needs a mate that I can't find. He roams with the chickens, who don't seem to care.
Cracked corn is not an appropriate diet for a turkey of any age unless you are using it to finish off the turkey prior to processing. Corn is a low protein, high fat food that should be viewed as a treat. Total treats should not exceed 10% of the total diet.

So I have a few questions here. So my chickens are 9 weeks old and in the coop permanently now, and I have a new batch of babies in the brooder. The brooder is extremely mixed species, with 6 guineas, a duck, and two turkeys. That leads me to my first question: Will that be okay since they are all one day olds? On that note, I am feeding all three species 24% chick starter that has 55 ppm Niacin in it, will that be okay for everyone? Its meant for the guineas and turkeys but will the duck be okay on it or will he need more Niacin supplement? And I have NEVER raised turkeys before, can anyone give me tips on what they need? They are Bourbon Reds, and I don't know how to sex them or tell if they're healthy. One of them is running around and staying with the flock, but the other one just seems exhausted. I've seen it just kind of standing alone and not moving, but when I kinda tap its butt or try to pick it up to get it to move it'll run to its buddies. Is it just scared from transport or what could be the issue? When I chose it from the bin it was running with the others and not staying still like it is now. Do turkeys need to be socialized or are they wild like guineas? Can they eventually be put in with my chickens? Etc etc, just any advice about turkey poults please!
Neither turkey poults or guinea keets should be brooded with waterfowl. They need to be kept dry. While your feed has enough niacin for the poults and keets and duckling, it is probably low in lysine and methionine and is definitely low in protein for the poults and keets. The turkeys should be able to be sexed starting around 3 months old and definitely by the time they are 6 months old.

Turkeys can be socialized very easily.

If blackhead is an issue where you live, keeping turkeys with chickens can be a death sentence to the turkeys.

Sounds like your one poult is ill. You may want to put the whole bunch on Corid.

Neither turkey poults or guinea keets should be brooded with waterfowl. They need to be kept dry. While your feed has enough niacin for the poults and keets and duckling, it is probably low in lysine and methionine and is definitely low in protein for the poults and keets. The turkeys should be able to be sexed starting around 3 months old and definitely by the time they are 6 months old.

Turkeys can be socialized very easily.

If blackhead is an issue where you live, keeping turkeys with chickens can be a death sentence to the turkeys.

Sounds like your one poult is ill. You may want to put the whole bunch on Corid.
The duck was incubator hatched so he can't be in water anyways right now. Whats blackhead? I live in southeastern Georgia, is that an issue here? There are very many people near me that successfully put their turkeys with their chickens. And that was the highest protein I have access to

Blackhead

here are lots of people that have learned the hard way that keeping turkeys can be hazardous to the health of the chickens especially when poults are brooded with chicks, become imprinted and lose the ability to understand that there is a difference between them and chickens.

As far as the feed goes, the chain feed stores are refusing to carry proper feed for turkey poults and guinea keets. People not demanding the proper feed is making the situation worse.

Blackhead

here are lots of people that have learned the hard way that keeping turkeys can be hazardous to the health of the chickens especially when poults are brooded with chicks, become imprinted and lose the ability to understand that there is a difference between them and chickens.

As far as the feed goes, the chain feed stores are refusing to carry proper feed for turkey poults and guinea keets. People not demanding the proper feed is making the situation worse.
They aren't being brooded with chickens, they're being broaded with guineas, but they will be mixed when they have all feathers. My chickens are not free rangers or breeders, theyre all in a monitored coop with protected flooring. And I've asked multiple stores for higher protein feed but they say they won't order it since no one will buy it, and I can't order it myself. The poult is speeding up now, it got a little nap and is running around with the others mostly now. Can I give them all ACV?

They aren't being brooded with chickens, they're being broaded with guineas, but they will be mixed when they have all feathers. My chickens are not free rangers or breeders, theyre all in a monitored coop with protected flooring. And I've asked multiple stores for higher protein feed but they say they won't order it since no one will buy it, and I can't order it myself. The poult is speeding up now, it got a little nap and is running around with the others mostly now. Can I give them all ACV?
I do not recommend giving ACV for anything especially not when they are in the brooder. ACV can be harmful when given at high temperatures. Brooder temperatures can be considered high temperatures.

When the local feed store that used to use closed so the owner could retire, I faced a similar situation with getting proper feed. If necessary, I would have become my own feed store. There is a market for proper feed.

The idiocy of store managers not being able to grasp the concept of having a guaranteed sale is amazing. You aren't asking them to just have it on hand in case you or someone else wants to buy it, you are saying get it in and I will buy it.

Fortunately for me and others, I asked Sutherland's Lumber (yes, they carry feed) to order it. They were happy to oblige. In return, I send them customers. The stores that refused to carry it, I tell people why they shouldn't shop there.

I do not recommend giving ACV for anything especially not when they are in the brooder. ACV can be harmful when given at high temperatures. Brooder temperatures can be considered high temperatures.

When the local feed store that used to use closed so the owner could retire, I faced a similar situation with getting proper feed. If necessary, I would have become my own feed store. There is a market for proper feed.

The idiocy of store managers not being able to grasp the concept of having a guaranteed sale is amazing. You aren't asking them to just have it on hand in case you or someone else wants to buy it, you are saying get it in and I will buy it.

Fortunately for me and others, I asked Sutherland's Lumber (yes, they carry feed) to order it. They were happy to oblige. In return, I send them customers. The stores that refused to carry it, I tell people why they shouldn't shop there.
My brooder has an indoor space with the heat lamp and an outdoor space with their water, so the water is usually around room temp. I do this so the water doesn't evaporate and make the babies damp. Is it still bad that way? I've had very many people say its great for the babies. What feed would you recommend for them then?

Back
Top Bottom