New turkey mom questions

mraab

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2018
Southern NC
Forgive me if these have been asked before. I’ve been hunting through the forums and have some questions specific to my situation unanswered still.

1. I got the poults today at four weeks old. Two royal palms and one Spanish black. Got them home, tucked them into the brooder. They haven’t shown any interest in the food or water. Is this normal?

2. The woman I bought them from said she doesn’t handle her poults because she’s heard about how fragile they are and how easily they die. Really? I thought they were supposed to be handled early to socialize them like I’ve done with my chickens?

3. So far as I can tell, blackhead is not an issue in my county (Mecklenburg county in NC). Can I let my poults have some outside time? Isn’t that where they would be if they were wild? If the outside is so dangerous and turkeys are so fragile, how do the wild turkeys survive?

4. It’s hot here. Highs in the 90s and lows in the upper 60s/low 70s. Surely they don’t still need supplemental heat at four weeks old? They’re nearly fully feathered, but still downy on their heads and necks.

I manhandle all my poults.

Turkeys hate change, and can shut down when things suddenly change. Last batch when I started to wean them off their heat lamp they were so bothered by no light that they stood in a huddle until I turned the light back on. Took me a week until they finally laid down.

Yours are probably shocked. Are you feeding the same brand? They should eventually come around. Talk to them. I haven't dealt with any that weren't handled.

I would clip their wings before taking them outside. They are probably pretty good at flying currently.

They don't need heat anymore at your temperatures. Going outside daily for sunshine and exercise is good for them.

The woman I got them from gave me a bag of the food she was using, so that’s what I’ve got in there with them.

They aren’t huddled or unhappy looking. I’ve checked them several times, and they’re currently sleeping peacefully. They’re cozy but not burrowing underneath each other as if they were cold.

Previous owner had them under a lamp at night in a brooder box in her garage. I’ve got them in a pack n play in my garage, but a lamp just seems crazy. It’s SO HOT here now! And even now while they’re sleeping, they have their wings dropped away from their bodies like my chickens do when they’re trying to cool off.

I’ll definitely clip them before taking them outside. Think I should wait a few days before taking them out? Or just get all the change over with at once and get them into the sun tomorrow?

When I took my turkey poults and put them in a new pen they went on a hunger strike and refused to eat. I lost 2 so I put a couple young chickens with them, they perked right up and they are living to this day.

The woman I got them from gave me a bag of the food she was using, so that’s what I’ve got in there with them.

They aren’t huddled or unhappy looking. I’ve checked them several times, and they’re currently sleeping peacefully. They’re cozy but not burrowing underneath each other as if they were cold.

Previous owner had them under a lamp at night in a brooder box in her garage. I’ve got them in a pack n play in my garage, but a lamp just seems crazy. It’s SO HOT here now! And even now while they’re sleeping, they have their wings dropped away from their bodies like my chickens do when they’re trying to cool off.

I’ll definitely clip them before taking them outside. Think I should wait a few days before taking them out? Or just get all the change over with at once and get them into the sun tomorrow?
Use your own judgment. If they seem to be fine with the changes than take them out and see how they do. They are old enough they shouldn't starve. Definitely don't add heat if they look hot.

Chicks can eat it. :) At four weeks mine are on an all flock 18%. Mine are heritage breeds through. Is yours a production turkey?
At 4 weeks old, turkey poults should still be on a high protein turkey or gamebird starter. Your all flock does not have the proper levels of protein, lysine, methionine or niacin they should be getting.

A high protein (28-30%) turkey or gamebird starter is recommended for the first 6 to 8 weeks followed by 6 weeks on a turkey or gamebird grower (24% protein) and then you can switch to a 20% protein all flock feed.

I agree put them with Chicks/chickens or ducks anything else. Something to make them feel comfy. I'm also in agreement that they are in shock. Also in their water put a little bit of apple cider vinegar

Back
Top Bottom