new turkey momma

do they feather like ducks or like chicks? i feather sex my chicks because they feather quickly, if i have a male out of this group he will end up eaten but females will stay and be part of the flock

Turkeys are harder to sex accurately when young. Sometimes you can make guesses based on weight. But usually it takes a few months before you can be certain of what you have. I haven't noticed a difference in them getting feathers, but there's a slight difference when they lose their head feathers. Females will keep a line of feathers up the back of the neck, and when they get their adult feathering at about 4 months the females will have white tipping on the chest feathers.

do they feather like ducks or like chicks? i feather sex my chicks because they feather quickly, if i have a male out of this group he will end up eaten but females will stay and be part of the flock

They have developed the broad breasted variety to be feather sexed now. Of the heritage turkeys, the only variety that I am aware of that can be feather sexed are the Narragansetts. Of course as with the varieties of chicks that can be feather sexed, it is only accurate from day one through day three. After day three it no longer works.

One of the poults has something going on with his wing, it looks almost like angel wing except its only the primary feathers on one wing, with it grow out of this?

One of the poults has something going on with his wing, it looks almost like angel wing except its only the primary feathers on one wing, with it grow out of this?

Yes it will grow out of it. At least one person made the claim that all of his poults that developed the "angel wing" turned out to be toms. My experience leads me to believe that there may be something to his observations.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom