new turkey run and questions from first timer.

jasonm11

Songster
9 Years
Nov 18, 2010
tioga tx
So I am going to pick up 3 or 4 bourbon red turkeys on Saturday and have been told to keep them cooped up for at least 3 weeks. My daughter and I got out Sunday and built an enclosure for them. It consists of a 5'x7' utility shed lined in hay with a roost about 12" off ground attached to a covered 24'x6' run. It has 5 ft fencing walls covered with patio cloth. it looks like a long covered wagon. I am planning on picking up some items this week before I get the birds. They are currently living with chickens and goats and have the run of the place. I figured I would initially stick with whatever food tehy are used to and then slowly introduce tehm to what they shoud have. I need som help in this area. I am told they range in age from 6months to 2yrs for the older tom. What should I be giving them? should I worm them as soon as I get them? The jake I am picting up is 6 months old and his name will be Thanksgiving. I plan on fattening him up. What else do I need to consider?

thanks for the help

Jason

Maybe turkey grower? I am thinking you should go for the lowest commong denominator: the young turkey. He needs the extra protien, and would probably be hurtin' without it. You could also give electrolytes to ease those growing pains
smile.png

I would feed a turkey grower. Worm with Wazine. It will kill the cecal worm that causes Blackhead. Just follow the directions on the bottle. Baby chick viatamin water is also helpful when moving birds. Ours were to be penned for a few weeks, but they decided an hour was enough. They then made themselves at home with our chicks and waterfowl. When you worm, consider worming everything else you have. I would give free choice feed and not allow them to run out for at least a week.

Are you going to show them? At least consider taking them to your county fair. Our Turkeys were the highlight of our County Fair.

Jim

http://exhibitionturkeyfanciers.bravehost.com

Quote:
Not sure about showing anything, work keeps me tied up but who knows. As far as worming the buggers, does the wazine have instructions for use, is it forgiving in case if give more that needed to my chickens? What is free choise feed? a brand?

At 6 months old our birds are either eating an 18% or 20% protien layer depending on the season of the year. During laying season we use the higher protien.

Wazine is not an effective wormer for all types of worms I quit using it along time ago. Ivomec or safegaurd takes care of them all.

Steve

Thank you for the help. I went thru and read all the stuff at abcu? about turkeys and got scared of raising my own so i figured I would buy a few and if they go broody so be it. I can't wait to get them home on Saturday.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom