New UK chicken keeper

We are new chicken keepers having recently adopted 6 ex battery hens who were on the way to the slaughter house. They make few demands on us apart from food and shelter, and we have enjoyed our time with them watching their comical carry ons. They lay a few eggs a day and we get enough to give away to family and friends. We are pleased to have found this site because we do need help.

Welcome to BYC!

I have to give you stark warning about your ex batts.....they are evil! They will possess your heart and make you do things you didn't intend to do! That is precisely where my problem started. I adopted six ex batts. It was meant to stop there but they weedled their way in, made me love them, gave me a peaceful place to just sit and watch for my morning cuppa. Then they started jumping up, sitting in my lap, looking at me with those evil beady eyes and possessing my very soul. Then, one day, I turn around and I have somehow ended up with 24 hens and a couple of cockerels and their evil work was done.....I was addicted.

That was nearly ten years ago now but the problem is as bad as ever. I moved house and had to live without chickens for over a year. I thought I could do it but no, it wouldn't leave me alone, kept gnawing at my brain until I lost the fight. I now have two cochin, two orps, two brahmas...all adults....and then I went and hatched some Cream Crested Legbar....now four weeks old....four pullets and a cockerel...and in the spring will be getting some ex batts. And as if my addiction couldn't get any worse, I have already bought a cage and run for quail....the eggs will be going in the incubator as soon as the CCL chicks are out of the brooder.

Heed my words....chicken math is heading your way. You will never be the same :th:thumbsup

Welcome from Australia, chickensuk :frow There is nothing better than sitting back and watching chickens just being chickens. I and Hubby did that tonight, actually.
Lots of friendly and knowledgeable people here to give you the confidence that all is well in the chicken house. Enjoy!

Hi there,

Whereabouts in the uk are you? I'm currently in London but am moving to Sussex in the next few weeks and have been doing lots of research especially about getting some ex bats!
We are in St Helens Merseyside, the hens came from www.luckyhensrescuewigan.weebly.com I hear people come from all over the country to adopt their hens. let me know how you get on

Hi there,

Whereabouts in the uk are you? I'm currently in London but am moving to Sussex in the next few weeks and have been doing lots of research especially about getting some ex bats!
We are in Merseyside, the hens came from Wigan
Man that is cool! I wouldn't even know how to go about rescuing hens like that. Good on you. Welcome to byc!
Man that is cool! I wouldn't even know how to go about rescuing hens like that. Good on you. Welcome to byc!

G’Day from down under chickensuk :frow Welcome!

Kudos to you for giving the girls a second chance at a good and happy life :clap

I do hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)
Thanks for the welcome, I look forward to swapping pictures from the chickens, we have had them for about 6 weeks now and they're enjoying their new freedom. I feel I'm doing something good in the world.

Back
Top Bottom