NEW United Peafowl Association Magazine Editor!

What would you like to see most in the UPA magazine?

• More Articles

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • More Photos

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • More Color

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A more interesting layout.

• A Meet the member section where each issue a new member is featured.

• Better ad quality.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More pages.

• More information for new peafowl owners.

• More information for experianced peafowl owners.

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

MinxFox

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
Pensacola, FL
Hello everyone. A lot is changing in the United Peafowl Association. One of the things I am very excited about is that I am now the UPA's magazine editor!

Why am I qualified to be the new magazine editor?
- Since high school I have been studying graphic design and I have done professional graphic design work. My recent commission was @Bluecreekfarms new logo/watermark. I am also a graphic design major in college.

- I have been interested in peafowl all of my life and I have had the pleasure of owning peafowl since October 11, 2009.

- In high school for an extensive senior project I created a magazine. The magazine just happened to be a peafowl magazine and I was one of the only people to receive a 100 for this project grade. My younger friend told me that my teacher still uses my project as an example to other students.

- As a college freshman the paper I wrote for my final in my English class won me second place in a college freshman writing contest.

These are just some of my qualifications.

Why should I, the reader, care?
There is a new magazine sheriff in town, and I want YOUR input, articles, photos, etc!

- Have a beautiful peafowl photo you think is front cover worthy? Send it to me!

- Want to be able to say you have an article published in a globally distributed magazine? Send me your article!

- You can't write but you want your story told? Call/email/Skype me and I can turn your words into an article!

- Have a unique way of building pens, cleaning pens, catching birds, selling feathers, etc that you are willing to share? Article please!

Let me know how the magazine can be improved and also let me know if you want your ad in the UPA magazine. If you don't have an ad design don't worry, I can make your ad fancy for you! Just let me know what to say on the ad and I can do the graphic design part.

Okay, but I, the reader, have never seen the UPA magazine because I am not a UPA member...

Exactly! Which is why I have proposed that once I have made one or a few magazines, we will release one magazine online for EVERYONE to see! That way you will know what to expect when you become a UPA member for the magazine, and for other wonderful resources that come with being a UPA member such as the always useful breeder directory.

Please, please, please consider writing an article, buying an ad, or sending in photos. What will really make the magazine great is variety. I can help give some variety, but the most variety will come from when many people contribute to give a wide range of knowledge. You don't have to write a 5 paragraph essay nor do you have to have some revolutionary way of breeding peafowl to have a worthy article for the magazine.

I will leave you with an example of what the Peafowl Today will begin to look like now that I am the editor. Keep in mind this art was done back when I was in high school. I have since gotten better at my graphic design work!

The left side is the back cover, the right side is the cover.

I look forward to working with everyone! Thank you! - Alea

That is very exciting! You are the perfect person for the job! Alea is a wonderful graphic artist, having made the perfect logo for me, and she will bring this magazine to new levels I am sure.

Just an update - The first issue has not been and probably won't be released this month (January 2016) because of some new things I was told to include and with that comes waiting for others to write the information for me to put the new page such as 2016 convention information, BOD minutes, etc.

@Birdrain92 - I haven't forgotten about you and when the magazine does come out I will get you a copy. It just hasn't come out yet haha.

One of the newish things I added are 2 pages which will be in the center of the magazine and each page has 3 photos = 6 photos in total in this center section. I was told to look for really breathtaking photos for this center, because it is to be really special. So I am using one of Blue Creek's photos and I got on Flickr (a photography website) and found some nice peafowl photos and asked the photographers for permission to use their photos. I got some quick responses so I was able to get some good wild peafowl photos that way. If you want to contribute any photos for the magazine feel free to do so. I am big on giving credit to the photographer (by each photo I say who the photo was taken by) so it isn't like I am taking credit for your work. The photo would be in full color!

The UPA President did some work and was able to get it so that we can start printing the magazine in all color. This first issue won't be all color (by the time I learned of the all color thing I already had pretty much the whole magazine finished in black and white) but there will still be nice color pages here and there. The second issue I do will definitely be all color unless we get budget issues.

I should probably wait to tell you all where the 2016 convention will be, especially since I don't know all the exact details yet. I might get to be one of the speakers. I guess I am getting to do all kinds of stuff! This is why you should join and be active in the UPA it is fun to get to do a variety of things for the association.
smile.png

As for the website - I was asked to take over as webmaster but after much thought I decided I don't have enough time for it. I worry that there would just be too many tech issues that I wouldn't be able to figure out since I am still not that experienced on web design. If anyone is a web designer the UPA is now looking for a web master. I can help you make new graphics for the website but I can't take over the whole thing. As for the UPA forum, I think it was hacked and I don't know if we will ever be able to get it back. The UPA does have a facebook page and it is updated often with peafowl photos and info.

Sorry about the long post, I know most are not and may not ever want to be a UPA member, but I just like keeping people updated if they are curious as to what is going on.

Just an update - The first issue has not been and probably won't be released this month (January 2016) because of some new things I was told to include and with that comes waiting for others to write the information for me to put the new page such as 2016 convention information, BOD minutes, etc.

@Birdrain92 - I haven't forgotten about you and when the magazine does come out I will get you a copy. It just hasn't come out yet haha.

One of the newish things I added are 2 pages which will be in the center of the magazine and each page has 3 photos = 6 photos in total in this center section. I was told to look for really breathtaking photos for this center, because it is to be really special. So I am using one of Blue Creek's photos and I got on Flickr (a photography website) and found some nice peafowl photos and asked the photographers for permission to use their photos. I got some quick responses so I was able to get some good wild peafowl photos that way. If you want to contribute any photos for the magazine feel free to do so. I am big on giving credit to the photographer (by each photo I say who the photo was taken by) so it isn't like I am taking credit for your work. The photo would be in full color!

The UPA President did some work and was able to get it so that we can start printing the magazine in all color. This first issue won't be all color (by the time I learned of the all color thing I already had pretty much the whole magazine finished in black and white) but there will still be nice color pages here and there. The second issue I do will definitely be all color unless we get budget issues.

I should probably wait to tell you all where the 2016 convention will be, especially since I don't know all the exact details yet. I might get to be one of the speakers. I guess I am getting to do all kinds of stuff! This is why you should join and be active in the UPA it is fun to get to do a variety of things for the association.
smile.png

As for the website - I was asked to take over as webmaster but after much thought I decided I don't have enough time for it. I worry that there would just be too many tech issues that I wouldn't be able to figure out since I am still not that experienced on web design. If anyone is a web designer the UPA is now looking for a web master. I can help you make new graphics for the website but I can't take over the whole thing. As for the UPA forum, I think it was hacked and I don't know if we will ever be able to get it back. The UPA does have a facebook page and it is updated often with peafowl photos and info.

Sorry about the long post, I know most are not and may not ever want to be a UPA member, but I just like keeping people updated if they are curious as to what is going on.

Thank you! I would like to attend the Convention and join the UPA sometime in the near future.

Thank you for the update. Please continue to share your thoughts on the group. It may not be for everyone, but you certainly seem to enjoy being involved with it.

Thank you!

We are working on having another peafowl raffle. This raffle will be for a Bronze peafowl pair. Once we can get PayPal figured out we should be able to do the raffle.

Most likely the raffle will be announced on the UPA facebook page and also the magazine. I am working on the raffle page already.

@AugeredIn - I heard from Loretta that you recently joined the UPA but were not getting the magazine. Once I get the mailing list for the magazine I will be sure that you are on the list. If you ever want to write an article or do an interview for an article in the magazine let me know.

Okay well I am going to get back to working on the magazine now.
smile.png

Get that Pay-Pal figured out so I can buy some raffle tickets! What is the best way to join the UPA? Can I use credit card or Pay-Pal?
Either one should work check this page to join: http://unitedpeafowlassociation.org/JointheUPA1.html

I believe Loretta (the UPA Vice President) has her adult son working on the PayPal. I think Loretta is also the one donating the pair and I am waiting on her to send in photos of them. Once I get photos I can post them here and I will probably make a new topic just for the raffle.

Back
Top Bottom