1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

new use for chickens...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by torrelee, Jun 1, 2011.

1. torrelee

torrelee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    long beach, wa
    Today I discovered a new use for my big australorp lady... While working in the garden I came upon a big nest of potato bugs under a paver. My girls were hanging out on the other side of my fence watching me and i figured "sure, why not". I put the paver on one side of the fence for the flock to pick at and grabbed my mellow girl. I stuck her right where the paver had been, and after a failed attempt at my strawberry plants she realized what she was supposed to do. Potato Bug Shop-Vac! She hoovered them right up!!! Of course, I had to put her in and out as I needed her so she didn't eat my baby plants, but chicken-hoover is much more organic than pesticide!
    [​IMG]
    Robyn/half ass(dog got her tail)/now Hoover

2. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I saw a video on youtube of a guy that made a june bug chute and the chickens came running to eat them as the heard them fall.

We've got a lot of crawl-dads, the chickes would kill eachother over one! They love them. I love that I have less and less holes in my yard each year!

3. thefishery

thefishery Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Quote:OMG I Just saw this!!! Half ass!! ROTF

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I love the term "Chicken-Hoover!" I have a flock of those whenever I find a nest of earwigs. Stand BACK!

5. CourtneyC

CourtneyC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    SE Ohio
    Too Funny! [​IMG]

6. purelypoultry

purelypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    chicken hoover! LOL.

Now I need to go find the youtube link for the JuneBug Chute. Sounds interesting too.

(Melissa)

7. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I'd like to see the June bug chute, too! Very cute!

8. rivers2011

rivers2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Port Perry, ON
    BYC should have 'like' buttons!
    Love your astralorp. She looks like a diva, like an old school, Wagner soprano kinda diva

9. jeepchick

jeepchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Loudon, New Hampshire
    June bugs are the #1 Favorite here!!! oh so crunchy! we need a link to that you tube video!

10. kitmarlowescot2

kitmarlowescot2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    The only thing I can find online was this video with chickens and junebugs. No chutes though. Just funny music

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by