New user and soon to be chicken owner

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by collitchboy, Aug 25, 2011.

1. collitchboy

collitchboy New Egg

Aug 25, 2011
    Good afternoon all. I have been thinking of getting some chickens for about a year and a half now. My wife is on a new diet and is finally supportive of having chickens mostly due to being free range and knowing exactly how the eggs are treated.

I placed my first order with Idel Poultry this afternoon and they immediately called me to inform me that the number of chickens I ordered was too low and that I would either have to insure the order or have them pack in random male chicks to take up the space. I only want about 4 chicks to start with and certainly do not want them to be harmed in shipment but cannot house the additional chicks nor do I want roosters. Is there a subforum I missed or some method to find people near me wanting to order chicks to split the cost? The shipment will not go out until September 7th so I could call and change or cancel my order if need be but I thought I would try this first.

If anyone is interested I live in Murfreesboro, TN

Thanks!

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  3. Symphony

Symphony Vanilla, Little Airt Airt

[​IMG]

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Hello and welcome to BYC! 4 is not enough.[​IMG]. We were only planning 2 and I now have 8. Good luck finding someone to split chicks.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. You can cancel your Ideal hatchery order and order from Meyer Hatchery or MyPetChicken. Meyer and MPC will ship as little as 3 chicks. I've ordered from all 3 hatcheries without any problems.

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined us [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas![​IMG] Great to have you on the forum! Best of luck finding someone to share your order. Lots of chicken lovers out there so I'm sure someone will contact you! [​IMG]

10. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG] from the Finger Lakes of New York! So glad to have you here. If you look in the "Where are you? Where am I?" section, there is at least one TN thread. There may very well be someone on there that has extra chickens. That would be a great place to start. Welcome aboard!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by