new water container

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sallyann44, Sep 6, 2014.

1. sallyann44

sallyann44 New Egg

Aug 19, 2014
    I have water and food in run, I put a water container in coop 4 DAYS ago and they have not touched it they only drink out of old water container. I 5 ought more water is better what should I do?

2. Dee Ann

Dee Ann Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2014
    Griffin, GA
    I would remove old container put new one in its place and take one chicken and show them how to drink from the new container. Leave it like that for a few days then if you want to you can add the old container back in if you want additional water for them.

3. sallyann44

sallyann44 New Egg

Aug 19, 2014
    Yeah that's what I was looking for more water thank u I'll do that today !

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on Dee Ann's advice. In fact, you may not even have to remove the old container--just swap out their locations. It's likely that they are just used to drinking from that particular location. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your chickens to drink from the new container.

5. Dee Ann

Dee Ann Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2014
    Griffin, GA
    I keep 3 waters in each of my pens. One in the coop, one each in the front and back of their run. This will help with hen-pecking as a lead hen may dominant a particular waterer.

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I also agree with Dee Ann. Remove all but the one you are trying to figure out. They obviously would have to use it.

7. sallyann44

sallyann44 New Egg

Aug 19, 2014
    Thank u so much for ur help I never knew how smart chickens were they used their laying box without ne help so I just thought they would figure the water out too I'm very new at this so much fun but still learning

8. LIChickens

LIChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

You've received some good advice already!

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sounds like everyone has given you some great advice so I will just welcome you to our flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by