New Watering System

Rocknominoe

In the Brooder
May 24, 2017
Battle Ground
So, I made my own watering system with the poultry watering cups. However, my chickens can't figure it out. I'm leaving this weekend and I don't want to leave them without water, because they have it, but they won't use the new system.

Do you think they'll eventually get it? Right now they're just drinking around the yellow thing that releases water.

Toss a tiny bit of scratch in the cups. They will peck the scratch grains and inadvertently peck the yellow doohickey thingy, realize water comes out of it and continue to peck at it. My gals figured it out within minutes.

I have the watering cups too. I think maybe because we fill the cup with our finger we think it will be full all of the time. I see mine drinking water all of the time and the level never rises above the the yellow thing that releases the water. If you have the time before you leave watch them closely. I think they are possibly getting water.

Toss a tiny bit of scratch in the cups. They will peck the scratch grains and inadvertently peck the yellow doohickey thingy, realize water comes out of it and continue to peck at it. My gals figured it out within minutes.

I don't have scratch grains but throwing something in there is a great idea just to get them interesting in it!

I have the watering cups too. I think maybe because we fill the cup with our finger we think it will be full all of the time. I see mine drinking water all of the time and the level never rises above the the yellow thing that releases the water. If you have the time before you leave watch them closely. I think they are possibly getting water.

I was just thinking this myself about an hour ago. Because they seem to be more interested in it. This morning they drank from all the cups until they were dry, then I noticed the EE (because she's the biggest bird we have) stretching to drink the water from the top of the bucket. So when I went out there the cups were completely dry. And I've gone out there a few times with a long knitting needle and poked at the yellow things to help them get interested in it. And last time I checked there were still small amounts in the cups. So I think they almost have it down.

Back
Top Bottom