New Way to watch an Embryo Grow Try#5(Update Didnt Make It ) Eggtopsy

If you can solve the issue of sterility (the inside of an egg is sterile, a kordon breather bag is not), and calcium availability (chicks use part of the egg shell's calcium for their own growth, and whatever calcium is added must also be sterile) then you'll be golden.

Quote:
Unless you have an autoclave, chemiclave or access to something that can irradiate the supplies (since most plastics are sensitive to heat sterilization methods) then you items are not sterile , but instead just disinfected. Everything coming into contact with the inside of the egg needs to be in a state of asepsis, completely free of any and all microbes or contaminants. And chemicals such as bleach that can actually achieve sterility would be harmful to the embryo if not removed entirely (and you'd need to use a sterile solution, such as sterile saline in large amounts to flush).

Microbiology is fun stuffs, and it is more difficult to eliminate pathogen causing buggers that you'd think!

All I did was soak in boiling water with soap, I hope everything still works. how many days would I have until the pathogens get to it?

Last edited:
Ahh, yea sadly boiling can reduce but not eliminate microbes. It kills a lot of them, but can't harm spores (like botulism ). Not hot enough. Good for making drinking water safe if contaminated, but not sterile. The soap may leave a residue, but hopefully it got washed off.

I am trying to pick my brain on sterilization methods that are safe for your uses, practical, inexpensive, and can be done in the home. It would be too cool if you had access to a laboratory, since I think then you'd reach your full potential with the experiment! A pressure cooker might do the job. Often used for canning, the heat and pressure can create a sterile environment. BUT the problem is heat might destroy the breather bags, which is key to your experiment.

Edit: Can't say how many days it'll take, but in the warm environment of the incubator, you can probably expect most bacterial or fungal colonies to grow rapidly. A few days you might notice them. All it takes is one single live bacterium to grow into a colony. Researchers grow pathogens in a lab using nutrient medium (like agar plates ) and incubators.

Last edited:
yea I wish I could get into a lab but ill take those ideas for next time. Thank You
smile.png

You might want to try some metal bowls and see if there is a local piercing/tattoo shop that will autoclave them for you. They might charge you for it but it probably wouldn't be very much.

Back
Top Bottom