1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New weird sound from chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by happytutuaway, Oct 17, 2015.

1. happytutuaway

happytutuaway Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2015
    Ca
    So my 2ish month old chicken just challenged another chicken of mine. They do it often but this time it had its neck feathers fluffed out and made a sound that was in between a horn, or someone blowing their nose. Is this common? Does it mean it's a rooster, or do hens make awful noises as well.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    At two months you should be able to tell if it's a cockerel or pullet. Both sexes makes noises and both will flare hackles.

If you can't determine sex then take a picture of the bird, profile and another closer of head to show comb then post them in the "what breed/gender is this?" section.

Not knowing what comb type your bird has I can't offer much assistance guessing at sex. Say it's a single comb bird then the cockerels will have red combs at a young age and pullets wont be red at all until point of lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by