NEW What Ya Got Swap! Please see post #1 for rules!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine on the 1000 live mealworms

OFFER: 6+ call duck eggs

OR

Choice of 5 books from authors Nora Roberts, JD ROBB, Amanda Stevens (several others if interested I can get complete titles)

OR

Assorted Christmas ornaments (many in sets can get pictures)

Will be setting up my swap page with pictures soon
smile.png
I both want those eggs and am horribly afraid of hatching call ducks. How well do they lay?

I both want those eggs and am horribly afraid of hatching call ducks.  How well do they lay? 

This is my first year with call ducks. They are really difficult to hatch. The best hatches I've had with them is hand rotating, dry incubating for the first week, then spraying the eggs 3 times a day for the remaining incubation period.

Mine have been laying good! They are supposed to be seasonal layers but I have a couple friends whose calls laid all year. I collect the eggs right now so they keep laying and won't sit. Plus that way I can use them for swaps!!! I have 14 eggs in the bator from them and all are fertile and growing. I just set 4 more two days ago so I will candle them for fertility in a few more days.

They are great birds, I love how tiny they are, the hens are extremely vocal but it's not annoying to me :)

I guess I shouldn't say they are extremely hard to hatch. It just takes patience and knowing your incubator, it took me a couple times to get it down.

I've heard if you set them under broody hens you'll have a good hatch,

My broody hen was the only way I was able to hatch calls...she gave me 3 boys!! They are 3 yrs old and I adore them!! Soooooo much easier to take care of then the 3 huge ducks I have!!! If I didnt swear off more ducks id be alllll over those call duck eggs!!

My broody hen was the only way I was able to hatch calls...she gave me 3 boys!! They are 3 yrs old and I adore them!! Soooooo much easier to take care of then the 3 huge ducks I have!!! If I didnt swear off more ducks id be alllll over those call duck eggs!!

Oh my gosh they are so addicting. By the way everyone I put 4 more eggs in 3 days ago, all FOUR are already showing veining. With the exception of 6 eggs I shipped out, all the eggs my call ducks have laid this year have been fertile. First ones due to hatch march 5th. Can't wait!

Oh my gosh they are so addicting. By the way everyone I put 4 more eggs in 3 days ago, all FOUR are already showing veining. With the exception of 6 eggs I shipped out, all the eggs my call ducks have laid this year have been fertile. First ones due to hatch march 5th. Can't wait!
Do you have any pictures of yours call ducks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom