New with 8 ~2.5 week old mixed run.

AMT7

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 26, 2014
Tulsa OK area
The wife bought 8 chicks but can not id about half of them. Told her to wait a while & it will get much easier. Am building a 4'x4' elevated coop ('bout 90% done) have supplies for a 1/2"x1/2" hardware cloth courtyard / run and have found the best water & feeder design here using horiz nipples. Building a tractor next pcv 1" simple one looks to suit our limited space. Also want to build a meat bird coop about 6'x6' or 8' cube on the ground and do deep composting with pine or wood pellets, and let those free range in the 6' fenced backyard if can train our short hair pointer griffin to guar them and not eat them as sje is a bird dog and gets or used to get some wild birds that were not wary. Love this site. It has got by far the best info & community. We decided to try chickens due to inflation & our own 4 young adults have not left the nest and I am struggling paying for feeding them good. Have in mind a farm innovations incubator with fan kit & turner for later this year. We are in a county that has no restrictions but in a neighborhood with small lots. We raised a bunch of rabbits several years ago but got out when feed prices and availabity went bad. Chickens seem to be less trouble. We will see. Have larger pcv for heatgun (seemless) molding to remote fill the waterer & feeder both to be made of 5gal buckets. The feeder anti waste one with three of 3" 90 degree street elbow hub & spigot fittings. But still trying to decide on transition for a feeder from the little one she got when they were like 12 days old until they can reach in the fittings of the big feeder.

From my Android smart phone via tapatalk.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
You will not regret giving chickens a chance. They are great pets with benefits (meat and eggs). Post some pics of your set-up in the coop and run section here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

So we can have a look? When the chicks are older you can post pics here, so we can help ID the breeds:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Enjoy the site!

welcome-byc.gif
I'm new to chickens, too, but with the help and friendship found here at BYC I'm learning things every day!! Best of luck in your new venture...you won't regret it...POST PICS PLEASE!
jumpy.gif

images

Welcome to BYC!

We had chickens when I was growing up. Mostly for meat and eggs. I never gave chickens much thought until I got older. And had I known just how enjoyable it is to keep a flock of chickens, I would have started this adventure decades ago! You will really enjoy their personalities, their antics and the love they can return to you. My girls are huge lap babies and just love my attention. So give it a try and see if it doesn't make a difference in your life.

Make yourself at home here on BYC and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom