1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Year's Resolution

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by supchicks, Jan 1, 2015.

1. supchicks

supchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2015
    Ontario
    Hi everyone! It was one of my new year's resolutions to stop creeping this site and actually participate, so here I am!

Last summer, I managed to convince my husband that having a small backyard flock was an amazing idea and now we have a coop half built. The idea is to buy day olds in April and see where things take us!

I'm investing my dreary winter days in doing lots and lots of research so I don't make too many mistakes right off the bat (which, really, is inevitable!)

We're planning for a small flock, just four hens, and I was thinking we would get all barred plymouth rocks based on some appealing facts from my research:
    1. they're cold hardy. I live in southwestern Ontario so winters are definitely chilly- especially last year
    2. they're good layers - I haven't decided whether we'll be raising them for eggs/pets or for eggs/pets/food...can't quite wrap my head around that concept yet
    3. they're pretty docile - we have a 5 year old daughter and a 2.5 year old son, and I don't want to traumatize them with chicken attacks (I had a run in with a Canada Goose when I was 3 that haunts me to this day)
    4. I'll admit it: I like the way they look

but then...a bit more digging and I see the words "end of lay"....so what exactly does that mean? Are they going to dry up in the egg department? And if so, when? If I got a mix of Red Sex Links and Barred Plymouth Rocks what would happen? Would they be mean to each other? You can see, despite my extensive research, I know so very, very little!

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated! I'm looking forward to getting to know you all!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!!

Barred Rocks are excellent on the laying. I brought in a few BR chicks this past year and worked them into my flock. They are about 9 months old now and wow, since they began laying at 5 months of age, they have laid nearly every day! They say BR's are long living chickens and a BR of 15 years is not uncommon! You have to be careful with hatchery BR's as occasionally you can get an aggressive one. Not aggressive to you but to the others. I have worked with one of mine that was a bit aggressive and caged her occasionally and she is starting to come around and be more gentle.

I also keep Black Australorps. This breed holds the record for the most eggs laid in one year. They are fantastic layers and a very docile breed. Very gentle with children. However both my Barred Rocks and my Black Australorps are very affectionate and love to lap sit with me. Both of these breeds are hardy and a nice breed to keep.

Some production breeds lay hard and fast the first few years of their lives and then can slow way down or stop completely after 3 or 4 years. Some breeds can lay well into years 5, 6 and even 7. Depends on the breeds and the individual bird itself. My Black Australorps are going to be 4 in a couple months and they are still going strong on the laying.

Make yourself at home here and if you have any further questions, that is what we are here for. Welcome to our flock and Happy New Year!

3. supchicks

supchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2015
    Ontario
    Fantastic! Thanks for the advice!

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've had Barred Rocks and they are a great breed, but given your criteria I would recommend Black Australorps. They are extremely hardy and long laying. They are very calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them), and they are the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

6. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

10. CrazyChookz

CrazyChookz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Chasing Chooks
    Hello, [​IMG] and have a happy 2015! I wish you luck whatever chickens you may get. (what a fantastic new year's resolution [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by