New York state egg selling regulations

karu

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 6, 2008
Schenectady County, NY
Dear NY folks - does anyone sell eggs ?
I tried to check Cornell coop.ext. site, which referred me to the following Ag. & Markets site http://www.agmkt.state.ny.us/fs/general/04circs/Circular854_eggs.html
I
am lost - can I sell without grading ?
hu.gif

Is there some kind of maximum limit, as some people are referring to in other states, when you can sell eggs directly to consumers without going through reading this kind of 'circulars'.
hit.gif
somad.gif

At the moment we have 37 pullets, so my guess the best case scenario is 3 dz a day, our latest record was about almost 2 dz, so I need to get rid of those eggs and I take them to work, but I want to be sure that I am not doing anything illegal. And we want to expand with another set of 25 of various breads this time..
For instance, why do I have to wash eggs, according to the above mentioned 'circular', if washing makes egg to age faster, I don't sell dirty eggs anyway. I tried to candle them, just to get an idea how it all looks, I know my eggs are fresh, and I don't see anything there, except for the very tiny area of that air bubble. I separated 2 sample eggs for everyday candling to see how it will look after several days of aging - my science project
lau.gif

I sell roughly 3-4 dozen a week. I wash my eggs, and place them in Un-marked containers. If I remember correctly, washing eggs, lessens the chance of Bacteria.I bought the containers online, they are just plain, no markings, but you can add your own if wated. You just have to be careful. You cannot say "free Range" unless they truly meet the criteria.

You would probably do better washing eggs if you want to sell ( just look better), but be careful how you do it. I hear how you wash can possibly pull the bacteria in through the pores. So read up on that. I am new here to eggs, and chickens and don't have enough to sell, so not sure on regulations. Do you have farmers markets to sell?
The Cornell Cooperative Ext. is a great place but you may get an answer through a local Poultry 4-H group. Where in NY are you? I'm outside Rochester.

Stephanie

I just saw you are from Schenectady. I grew up in Glenville. Are you from that area?

Hi Stephanie, we are not local to Capital Region, we moved in last year, so I am not yet familiar with Glenville and very little familiar with Schenectady, we are in a country part of Schenectady county. But we love it here in Upstate NY !
yippiechickie.gif

We lost a hen again today :thun! Last time it was in December and we guessed the hen could be eggbound (?), since no injuries. This time other hens were pecking at the latter one, we saw 2 hens fighting few times before, maybe she's got into a fight and was knocked down, so the rest of the 'friendly' flock came to see her failure...well, my husband could not save her - it was too late, she was barely alive.... She was a laying one too, what a shame. And I used to think of them as being so gentle, and somewhat affectionate.​

Thanks gmc,
they (cornell) did not mention the type of sellers/minimum quantities, where those regs would be applicable to.
hu.gif
I was hoping to have a shortcut since we are not selling large volumes. The earlier mentioned circular is not easy to read, well, I understand that there is no shortcut, has to be graded, labeled, etc...

Back
Top Bottom