Neighbor threatening to trap birds

Pics

FrostHollow

Chirping
Mar 24, 2022
Indiana, USA
This one's a long one folks, but

TLDR; nosy neighbor is pissed we won't turn our horses out where she can see/watch them and has started baiting our chickens across the road, calling animal control, and is now threatening to trap and sell/remove/give them away. We are in a rural ag zoned area, no ordinances exist about chickens because we are unincorporated. What can we do?

----

I live in a zoned "Ag/Rural Residential" area in extreme North East Indiana on 12 acres. I have birds that free range during the day and go up at night in a barn set back atop a hill over 400ft from the road. My closest neighbor is directly across the street. Keep in mind, we are all acreages separated by tracts of land punctuated with state land and 3 large lakes. The neighbor in question has the smallest piece of land at 6 acres. I'm second smallest with 12. Everyone else is 30+

"Someone" had been coaxing my birds across the street and from there they have began foraging for grubs and beetles etc in the pine litter at the edge of her property. Every time we see them over there, we run them back across and have done everything we can to encourage them to explore the back acreage rather than go across the street. Their food and water sources are all back that way. All of their enrichment items are back that way.

The neighbor across the street has been brought eggs and baked goods and we've done the good neighbor thing as best we can. We managed to keep them happily back there for MONTHS, trained with all kinds of goodies and clickers etc (smart birds, aren't they?)

Que the drama that started this month. Recently, she came across the road to announce her displeasure in the fact she "knows we have babies (foals)" and we don't turn our horses out in our front paddock so she can "watch and enjoy them" as we prefer to turn them out behind the barns where the summer grazing is better. We explained that to her. She didn't like it. We more or less nicely stated that the horses aren't on public display and that the front paddock was being used as a riding arena so horses won't be back out there for any length of time.

A week later she's called Animal Control saying we've abandoned the horses and locked them in a hot shed and she "knows its true because they're not turned out up front anymore where she can watch them" verbatim on the report. ACC said that we, of course, are under no obligation to turn them out where we don't want to.

Two days ago we caught "someone" throwing bread out on the edge of their property... again... and a handful of the birds now forage over in the pine litter again. We made it known we knew it was her when she came over yelling that she had to chase the birds off her property while we were out in town and politely asked her not to undo all the hard work we put in to keeping them on our side of the road. We also explained that the largest fence we can legally build in front of the property is 4' and chickens can easily scale a 6' fence without much drama and WILL do it if she's feeding the little feathered cuisinarts. She didn't like that.

Yesterday we came home from the county fair to a letter from the Sheriff's Department where they crossed out "Dog Owner" and wrote in "Chicken Owner" in the "Dear Dog Owner" portion of their canned letter regarding at large dangerous and barking dogs... How that applies to chickens, your guess is as good as mine and because we got home after the deputy got off shift, we're now waiting for him to come back on shift today so we can talk to him. I have combed through our county and state ordinances - nothing exists about chickens having to be fenced in. Most of our neighbors have free range non-fenced chickens and when they cross a road, or stand in the road, we slow down and/or encourage them to go back across the street.

Anyway... Neighbor this morning called at 6am to wake everyone up and announce that she is going to begin trapping our birds and giving them away/bringing them to the humane society if we don't rehome them or permanently lock them up. We have informed her that she has announced her intention to steal our animals and we will not be tolerating that, nor will we be tolerating her on our land as we have video evidence of her in our barn and walking our property. She was pretty irate to hear that we have cameras and tried saying it wasn't legal - we all know it is, and none of them point at her property in any capacity. They monitor our porch (Ring doorbell), the barn doors, the horses' stalls, the tack/supply area, and then down the drive from the barns so we can see what vehicles pull up the driveway.

What can I do here? This woman is just miserable.

Is there a fence keeping the chickens from this lady's yard? I had a 4" strip of fence just to stop my birds from going into the road. It was connected to the house and extended down the road a little ways past where the chickens normally hang out and it kept them in.

She's a jerk, true, but your chickens need to stay at home, and apparently that means fencing them away from the road, at least.
Our neighbors enjoy seeing our horses in their winter pasture too, and understand that it's for winter only! This person does need to butt out! Have you brought this up with your animal control people?
Legally you do need your animals at home, but it can't hurt to mention her complaints and behavior as looney.
Mary

Not sure the relationship but I would consider going over there to discuss with this person directly what may be going on. Possibly there is something else at the bottom of this....did you recently modify a tree line? is there some separate issue they're resentful over and holding it against you? A direct conversation may help said person realize they are being ridiculous.

That said, I agree, you need a fence. Along a property line with acreage, that doesn't sound cheap. I have no experience with this. Maybe there are deterrents you can put up that will make the chickens nervous to travel in that direction? fake owls? hawks? all just guesses. I don't know.

The last consideration would be to see if you have any lawyers friends who can help draft you a "lawyer sounding letter" about you doing everything you can to prevent your chickens from crossing the road but harassment and threats will not be tolerated. If you could find a way to video said person coaxing your chickens...that would work great to scare them off from doing this again as it clearly would demonstrate they are creating this melodrama...

ultimately...good luck!

Maybe I'm a little spiteful, but if she's so concerned about the view I'd be tempted to install a couple of the ugliest wacky-waving-inflatable-armed-tubemen facing the road and her property "to keep the chickens away". To be fair, I imagine it would keep the chickens avoiding the area! I'd be afraid she'd feed them something bad next.

Seriously, the entitlement of whining about where you keep your animals! Your property is not her tv.

If I have all the details of the story straight-

Multiple eronious calls to animal control

Harassing phone calls at odd hours of the morning

Threats against your livestock

Trespassing (with video documentation)

And a recorded message that this all stems from you not putting your horses in the pen they want?

Id leave a letter in their mailbox. Kindly asking them to stop this behavior. The next incident , whatever it is, baiting your birds, animal control, whatever, I’d call the police and file harassment charges.

This all assumes you can actually document what you’ve alleged here.

Edit - spell check

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom