How to sell your house with Chickens?

Goldengirls6

Hatching
Mar 13, 2024
My husband and I met out neighbors down the block who had chickens 2 and a half years ago. They have 12 chickens, including a rooster. So my husband and thought it was fine to have them in our city and got 6 hens of our own. We then realized that the city does not allow them.

We have been planning on moving in August anyways to our country property out of state.

We are planning on taking their coop with us so my husband was going to break it down and put them in a tractor till we move.

How do you sell a house with chickens when you're technically not supposed to have them.

My husband and I met out neighbors down the block who had chickens 2 and a half years ago. They have 12 chickens, including a rooster. So my husband and thought it was fine to have them in our city and got 6 hens of our own. We then realized that the city does not allow them.

We have been planning on moving in August anyways to our country property out of state.

We are planning on taking their coop with us so my husband was going to break it down and put them in a tractor till we move.

How do you sell a house with chickens when you're technically not supposed to have them.
I’d actually like to know how to put any house on the market when you have chickens, even if you’re taking them with you.
Thanks for posting this question!

:welcome Hello I don't have any real answers for that one good luck :)

Hi and :welcome! I’ve never heard of selling your house with chickens, especially if you’re bringing them with you. If you’re worried about someone seeing them when they come to look at the house, perhaps you could get the hens out of there during that time? Maybe put them in a crate in the car?

Maybe find someone who is willing the let the chickens live in the tractor on their property? That would avoid anyone seeing the chickens at your house while it is for sale.

The chickens might be able to stay with someone close by, if they have a nice fence (so the chickens will hopefully not be noticed), or someone a bit further away who is actually allowed to have chickens (so no problem if they are seen.)

Welcome to BYC! :frow

It's also technically illegal to transport them across state lines without the proper documentation in place.. ie veterinary permit. Some states care less and the agriculture inspection stations here in California are practically a joke.. but ignorance of the law cannot be an excuse. This link might help you get started..

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ou...-Guide/Animal-Movement/interstate-regulations

This one is specific to Ca.. but can give you an idea of what's being described..

https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/Animal_Health/pdfs/CVIRequirements.pdf

Many folks do stuff on the down low and may never get caught.. that's just not my style. But it may be one of your options.

Just rehome the chickens and start fresh.. Sale the house.. easy peasy. (at least saying it was, I realize you might be attached.) This is what I did when moving to new property more than 12 hours away even though it's the same state. They were settled well at their new place and I got to get familiar with the ins and outs (seasonal pasture conditions, etc) at the new (unfamiliar) place before bringing chickens to the mix.

Otherwise.. move them to a friend or families house.. or JUST make it clear they're not included and will be gone by the close of escrow.

No move is easy, even when it's what you want.. in my experience. Selling a house and being out of state or timing that whole thing.. also extra intense.

Best wishes on all your adventures! :wee

or JUST make it clear they're not included and will be gone by the close of escrow.
^ This. Not really any different than having a dog or cat around during a home viewing, and I've been to open houses with chicken coops in the yard, though the owners generally lock them in for safety (at one, they even asked me if I'd like to take them since we lived close by). Do disclose the fact that the property isn't zoned for chickens, in case the buyer thinks that that means they can have them too.

Back
Top Bottom