50 roosters

As a breeder you must hatch alot and cull down or sell the rest to keep the best to better the breed. You don't just hatch 10 then cull 8 at a day old. That's no way to be a good breeder. It takes at least a year and a half better 2 minimum to see what you have.

Mostly agreed, except for the age part.

I'm working on a couple breeds, and we don't need to keep all the boys that long. As they grow traits are revealed in stages. The first to go are the buttheads. Next are the undesirable tails, leaky colors, poor beards, etc. For example, one project yielded about 20 cockerels this year. I kept 3 past 2 months old. At 6 months one showed leakage, so he went. Now it's down to 2 in that pen. I'm pretty sure which will be the breeder, but the final decision is hard, lol.

In that case, a predator did get it.

You're the funniest! 🤣

If I saw somebody around my pens at night I would seriously consider shooting them. At minimum they would be held at gunpoint till the cops arrived. Moral of the story, don't sneak onto somebody's property and steal there animals. And don't encourage other people to do it either.
images.png

If I saw somebody around my pens at night I would seriously consider shooting them. At minimum they would be held at gunpoint till the cops arrived. Moral of the story, don't sneak onto somebody's property and steal there animals. And don't encourage other people to do it either.
I agree. Livid would be an understatement if someone stole one of my birds for any reason, let alone to eat because they didn't like them

I highly doubt someone with that many males would even noticed ones even missing... but id call animal control if it was me because thats hoarding...and where i am there is a noise ordinance anthing making noise after 11pm you will get in trouble

I highly doubt someone with that many males would even noticed ones even missing... but id call animal control if it was me because thats hoarding...and where i am there is a noise ordinance anthing making noise after 11pm you will get in trouble
How can you say for certain its hoarding? Just because someone has lots of animals doesn't mean they're a hoarder. All we have heard is that the neighbor has a lot of birds and that they crow a lot. Nothing on housing space or care in regards to animal health

if the neighbor has no hens....they each have their own lil teepee(shelter)...are on a leg leash and .are not fat meat birds. They are fighting roosters. It's not illegal to sell fighting birds. Only illegal 2 fight them. Do all of them have combs or do some of them look blade? In the weeks before a cock fight, owners will take a razorblade.. or other sharp object to cut the combs and waddles off. They do this so the opponent has nothing to grab onto during the fight. They believe it makes the bird more hardy for the fight as well. The roosters eyes will swell shut and his head will be caked with blood until he heals. Sadly I witnessed this procedure in Oklahoma years ago. Not my birds..not my bizness

I mean that was none of my bizness. You have every right 2 be upset. I'd be pissed 2. I'd hope every day for a pack of hawks or an owl to fly by. Then they might pipedown.

I highly doubt someone with that many males would even noticed ones even missing...
OP said they are in individual pens.
Anyone who keeps birds in individual pens, and tends them each day, absolutely WILL know that one is missing.

but id call animal control if it was me
OP said animal control already was called, and said they could not do anything.

because thats hoarding...
Not necessarily. It could just be a business of one kind or another (raising roosters for fighting, or for their feathers) or it could be a personal hobby or project (maybe because they want to win a show and are raising many birds to pick the best one, or maybe they are raising them for breeding and trying to choose the best few), or quite a few other explanations.

And whether it is "hoarding" or not, animal control would only be able to check that the birds are receiving proper care. If they are being cared for properly, and not breaking any other rules, there is nothing animal control can do.

and where i am there is a noise ordinance anthing making noise after 11pm you will get in trouble
But OP said there is no such ordinance in their area. They already looked into that too.

Back
Top Bottom