New Young Aggressive Rooster - Suggestions?

Shadrach

Roosterist
Jul 31, 2018
Catalonia, Spain
My Coop
My Coop
It seems an obvious statement but roosters are not hens. One needs to change pretty much all the integration techniques used for hens when it comes to roosters.
Roosters earn the trust of their hens. Dumping a new rooster in with an unrelated and unknown group of pullets is unlikely to be successful.
Imo, now you have no acceptable options left and the rooster has to go. Such a shame.
Understanding more about how and why roosters behave the way they do might help you out should you decide to try keeping a rooster again.
I wrote this article to help people understand their roosters. It's a long article with a lot of information given in the stories.

Acre4Me

Free Ranging
Nov 12, 2017
Western Ohio
@cluckcluckhens you have my sympathies! We have a BJG rooster. Head of the flock. He does not like me, but generally leaves my kid alone, and kid wants to keep him.

Until he got used to them, my winter boots freaked him out and caused him to get aggressive ... they have laces on them, the only difference between my boots and the kid’s boots (same brand and color and style otherwise). Others have mentioned flip flops are problematic or certain clothing article, or a new clothing article, so you could be right with that idea.

I had to chase our rooster twice when he got particularly aggressive, and would chase him until he “hid” in a corner, which only took a couple of minutes. However, my most effective solution has been to always have a garden stake with me. This stake is rebar, so it is metal. at first, male would get intofighting stance, flare neck feathers, so I would stand there and extend the garden stake, keeping it vertical with my body, not pointing it at him-it was an extension of my body. He would bite it once, sometimes twice and decide that it was not a good experience biting metal, and would move away. At that point, I could move around. I had to keep my eyes on him, and still do. In the event that he was more stubborn and continued with the aggressive stance, I would move toward him and “peck” him on his head with the top of the rebar, not a “whack”, just a “peck”. This is classic chicken reprimand, and would get him to turn and move away. He is a very big chicken, so it is not feasible to try to pick him up, or anything like that. He has been a good flock leader, and kid likes him, so we have kept him. In addition, they generally settle down sometime after a year old, so you could see improvement with age.

we have a nearly 10 month old GLW that seems to be taking over the flock, and he always moves away from the humans, so this is a good trait. We had planned to sell the BJG this spring anyway, so happy the GLW seems to be taking on a leadership role.

good luck with your cockerel.

cluckcluckhens

Songster
May 4, 2015
PNW
I have GLW hens that will be 8 years old come October and still laying. These are pretty cool.

The only shoes I wear is either my all different colors in my slippers, yes my slippers and my swede dress boots. I will watch to see if something I'm wearing he does not like. He did not try to follow today when I shut the hatch because I had my slippers on and same clothes as yesterday.

Last edited:

cottontail farm

Songster
5 Years
Dec 26, 2014
Rural NW Pa
Sorry if that seems harsh but your kid's face is at spur level for an aggressive rooster. In my experience (and believe me I tried when we first started keeping chicknens) they don't get better, just worse.

Top Bottom