new Zealand rabbit genetic question

Hi, there so I am a rabbit breeder in Southern California, I already raise New Zealand White, and Blacks, but am now looking to add Broken New Zealand to my rabbitry, my question is...If I breed a New Zealand White with a New Zealand Red, can I get a broken Red rabbit?
The only way you'd get broken reds would be if your NZW was carrying the genes for both red and broken. Broken is a dominant gene; if it's there, you'll see it. The only exception would be a rabbit that is genetically also white (REW or BEW) - since broken puts white areas on a colored rabbit, if your rabbit is already white, how could you tell if it had another gene taking color out of some parts of the coat? Since a lot of NZW's carry the genes for steel, breeding a NZW to a NZR is most likely going to give you steels and blacks, and maybe chestnuts.

Hello my name is Angela and I got what I thought were nz broken doe and buck from a local hardware store called atwoods. Very pretty bunnies my doe is a white with tan and the buck was white with back. I bred he. And 31 days later buttercup had five kits. She has one that was tan with white strip across shoulders, one that was grey with white stripe across shoulders, one that was a rew, one that was white with both tan and black patches, and one that was white with black patches like his daddy. Sadly we lost the buck the day after breeding to a predator. So buttercup was bred to a rew from another rabbitry. 31 days later she gave birth to 9 kits. One was black with some red tint, two were grey, 4 are all white except for a spot on the nose the ears are black 3 were rew. Her 4th litter she just had is hard to tell but 2 look tan 1 is grey and the rest are white. My question is what breed of rabbit is my doe? Can she be a nz broken as I was told or is she a heinze 57

Quote: What color were their eyes? If they had red eyes, then yes, your doe is cross bred, though it may be something as simple as a Cali/NZ rather than a Heinz 57.

Last edited:
I have what I am expecting is a seriously dumb question..lol. I have a pair of NZ whites. My kids keep telling me their eyes scare them...lol. I am growing them for food, and sell some for $$. I do not want to give up the traits that make them the best meat rabbits. Here is the question- are the different colors of NZ rabbits just color differences, or do the different colored varieties also have other traits that are good or bad? Be gentle..lol

If you are referring to the red eyes, tell your kids to either get over it or not look at the rabbits. That is what my folks would have told me.The other alternative is to get another breed of rabbit. There are many meat breeds of rabbits that have colored eyes. For one, look into Californians or New Zealand Reds. There are others.

I have what I am expecting is a seriously dumb question..lol. I have a pair of NZ whites. My kids keep telling me their eyes scare them...lol. I am growing them for food, and sell some for $$. I do not want to give up the traits that make them the best meat rabbits. Here is the question- are the different colors of NZ rabbits just color differences, or do the different colored varieties also have other traits that are good or bad? Be gentle..lol

Hi - I raise NZs, American Chinchilla, and Silver Fox. My NZs carry both the ruby-eyed white (REW) and chestnut agouti (wild coloring) genes, so I usually get a 50/50 split, color-wise, in NZ litters. Here's what I've found with REWs: they tend to be a bit more calm and easier to handle than the agouti - though, in fairness, I have had some very sweet agoutis, too. If your kids are freaked out by the pink eyes, you could always get a NZ doe of a different color and breed with your buck to get some other colors...but my guess is that with time and caring for the rabbits, your kids will come around and discover that they are very nice, regardless of eye color.
smile.png

I agree with @balloonflower about the pelt color. White fur can be dyed other colors and is desirable for that reason; in addition, it's more difficult to see white hairs on a dressed-out rabbit than, say, black or steel.

There are many great meat rabbit choices, and other breeds that may sell for more (in my neck of the woods, at least), but I think NZs are a well-rounded breed of meat rabbit and that you'll enjoy them. Best of luck to you!

Hi - I raise NZs, American Chinchilla, and Silver Fox. My NZs carry both the ruby-eyed white (REW) and chestnut agouti (wild coloring) genes, so I usually get a 50/50 split, color-wise, in NZ litters. Here's what I've found with REWs: they tend to be a bit more calm and easier to handle than the agouti - though, in fairness, I have had some very sweet agoutis, too. If your kids are freaked out by the pink eyes, you could always get a NZ doe of a different color and breed with your buck to get some other colors...but my guess is that with time and caring for the rabbits, your kids will come around and discover that they are very nice, regardless of eye color. :)

I agree with @balloonflower
 about the pelt color. White fur can be dyed other colors and is desirable for that reason; in addition, it's more difficult to see white hairs on a dressed-out rabbit than, say, black or steel.

There are many great meat rabbit choices, and other breeds that may sell for more (in my neck of the woods, at least), but I think NZs are a well-rounded breed of meat rabbit and that you'll enjoy them. Best of luck to you!

Thank you for the response. Another issue on my mind is the discoloration on the bottom of the feet and rump on the whites from the urine from the wire on the cage. All rabbits experience it regardless of how well the cage is kept, but for selling rabbits, it looks worse on the whites than say the reds.

Thank you for the response. Another issue on my mind is the discoloration on the bottom of the feet and rump on the whites from the urine from the wire on the cage. All rabbits experience it regardless of how well the cage is kept, but for selling rabbits, it looks worse on the whites than say the reds.

YVW. That's very true, and it's a problem I've experienced with every REW of breeding age...I have one poor doe in a tractor whose head is orange-y because her tractor mate (separated by a wire barrier) has sprayed her. It isn't very appealing, but solid barriers between the rabbits would prevent the spraying. I've also read about methods to clean white fur for show, like using diluted vinegar and cornstarch, and there are more tips here: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=67269.

So this is my question...
Rabbit genetic question.
I have a red rabbit and a REW. Through test breeding I think I know the Red is Aa B_ CC D _ ee. I think the REW is Aa B_ cc D_ ej_ . I think "eje"
This pairing had 6 red/broken red first litter. The 2nd litter I got 2 black, 1 booted black, 3 harli, 2 tri, 1 red.
So I think REW is eje because of the red litter. But the blacks in this litter is making me confused. Could the black be (aa B_ Cc D_ eje)? Does self "aa" cover up the e lotus Harliequin "ej"?
I dont think the REW could be "Eej" because if the entire red litter with this pairing.
These are New Zealand. I know New Zealand should not have the Harliequin gene "ej" but my REW must have from something way back. Possible a rex.

I have breed the red doe to another red buck and got all red kits.

The Rew buck has been breed to multiple does...
Black doe #1 results: 4 broken black, 2 black, 2 white, 1 tri
Red doe #2 (mutt)results: 3 black (1 had rex fur), 2 Harliequin, 1 tri, 7 white
Black doe #2: 2 white, 2 black, 3 broken, 1 possible mudpie
White mutt doe results all white some had rex fur.
Thanks for ur help!

Could my pedigree red not be " ee"? What else could they be?
This REW is driving me crazy. I just breed him to his tri daughter maybe that will help explain something...

Back
Top Bottom