New!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LoveHuevos, Jan 24, 2011.

1. LoveHuevos

LoveHuevos Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2011
    Southern California
    Hello! I'm new and I wanted to know if we should refrigerate our fresh eggs? I've been trying to look up this answer and I keep getting mixed results so I thought I'd come to the experts.

A little background on myself:

We used to have chickens when I was younger, I don't know how many, and we also had one rooster.

We got 7 girls last year without a rooster. My 2 year old daughter loves them and we love our fresh eggs. We give them to our family but we have friends that are interested in buying them. We just got 10 more pullets last week so we can sell their eggs once they start laying. Are there any tips that you can provide for selling fresh eggs?

We're also extending our coop to accommodate our new chickies, once we put them outside.

2. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:Yes, you can refrigerate them [​IMG]

3. LoveHuevos

Jan 24, 2011
    Southern California
    I know I can, but is it necessary?
    How long can I leave them out?
    Is it better to refrigerate if we're going to sell them?
    We're excited to have our friends try our fresh eggs. [​IMG]

4. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:I refrigerate mine immedietly since I sell mine. I know there are some that leave theres on the counter but I don't know if they do that just for there own eggs or for the ones they sell also!

5. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I leave mine out on the counter - I never refrigerate and I sell mine also.

6. thechickonthehill

thechickonthehill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    Quote:[​IMG] You do not have to refrigerate your eggs, however, refrigeration will keep your eggs fresher for a much longer period of time. If you do an internet search on "refrigeration of eggs" you can find a great deal of information about this. I sell my eggs to others and I always refrigerate them immediately after gathering them to ensure optimum freshness. This is also actually a listed requirement of selling eggs in the state of KY.

Here is an article by Mother Earth News that you might find interesting, http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/1977-11-01/Fresh-Eggs.aspx

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:x2

8. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Quote:x2

Is there an advantage to leaving eggs on the counter? Does the cold fridge air do something to the egg?

9. 8ROYALS

8ROYALS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Petersburg, Texas
    before I got my chickens I have now. I went from Texas to visit family in Oklahoma. I brought back 10 dozen eggs with me from their farm. I ate the last one 7 weeks later and it taste great. Granted the yolk was a little flatter than the ones at the first, but the taste was the same. I never refrigerate...Those were on my counter for the 7 weeks. I do not refrigerate the eggs I get now sellling or not.

10. LoveHuevos

Jan 24, 2011
    Southern California
    Sounds like everyone does their own thing about refrigerating them.

Are there rules for selling eggs?

BTW, I was just out checking on the chickens and I saw one in her nest. She was standing up and out plopped out an egg without a shell...And then she turned around and ate it!! I read about this somewhere but I can't find the link. Talk about fresh eggs and supplying your own food!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by