New

deannakirchoff

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 19, 2014
hello... My name is Deanna and I have a FABULOUS husband. I have three grown daughters. 3 fabulous grown step children, twin grandsons, 1 granddaughter and another on the way. I bake, sew , crotchet, knit (sort of), make cards and read everything. and I have a passion for gardening. Life is GOOD. BUT, I can talk about those things anywhere.

I have discovered that I love chickens. I remember my grandma Charlene had a blue chicken named ANDY. When I was growing up she made quite an impression on us as she was a house chicken. All the grandchildren loved her. I don't remember ever seeing chicken POOP. My other grandparents gave me a little flock of hens and I loved them.

Last week I brought home 2 chickens. BABIES. its a long and funny story and it started with a large empty birdcage that I purchased at a garage sale and a sign at the co op that said BABY CHICKENS. A Buff Orpington (Is this the right spelling?) and a rhode island red. They are
Harriet the spy and Isabel. My husband allowed me to have them in the house (contained and well loved) with promises of building a backyard coop. Long story short, the are POOP MACHINES,
Truth be told I didn't care about the poop I cleaned it up religiously. BUT my sweet husband did. They went to live with my best friend of 40+ years. My husband is going to buy me a coop or build me a coop and then I am getting babies again. I cant believe how much I miss the chickens. they were so lovey especially the Buff orpington. My friend now wants to keep those two and has a coop . So I will start again with coop first and then babies. Mine will be pets and egg layers.

I cant stop planning for the chickens and the coop. I want them yesterday already. I believe I will stay with the orpintons as harriet made quite an impression.

I look forward to learning everything from all of you who have gone before me and have great stories and advice

good night Deanna

Welcome! Make yourself at home here!

I also really enjoy gardening and baking. We're known around our neighborhood as the tomato freaks, lol. Our entire front yard is covered with grape vines, fruit trees, vegetables, fruits, flowers, and mainly tomatoes. I bake many things, i'm always experimenting with my recipes, but I really do enjoy baking cakes.

Our chickens were sort of a last minute thing. We went to this amazing feed bin, and the employes convinced us to get some chicks. We ended up spending about $1200 on the chicken supplies !!!!, and they gave us the 4 chicks for free. They sold us the feed, shavings, coop feeder and waterer, and the chickens all in less than 1 hour. 2 hours later I had a mini flock of tweeting birds in my backyard:)

Welcome to BYC, Deanna! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm a grandparent as well and (believe it or not), I love to crochet. If you love chickens, you've come to the right place. You spelled Buff Orpington perfectly, and they are wonderful birds. I have raised them for years (still have some in my flock) and they are beautiful, calm and gentle, and good layers of large, brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your coop, with your flock, and with your grandchildren. :eek:)

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Oh! I sure love buff orps as I'm sure you do too! Such a sweet breed!!!

Welcome! We are excited to have you!!!
wee.gif

It's amazing how a person can spend so much money on chicken supplies. It's so much fun when you get in the feed store and see all the things they have for them. I have a big garden also with lots of tomatoes. We mad 9 quarts of salsa a few days ago and will have to make a lot more in the next couple of days. I peeled and cut up 4 and a half gallon bags of apples last night and this morning so guess what I have to start doing tomorrow. Enjoy your chicks and BYC. It's lots of fun on both cases.

Welcome! Make yourself at home here! 

I also really enjoy gardening and baking.  We're known around our neighborhood as the tomato freaks, lol. Our entire front yard is covered with grape vines, fruit trees, vegetables, fruits, flowers, and mainly tomatoes. I bake many things, i'm always experimenting with my recipes, but I really do enjoy baking cakes.

Our chickens were sort of a last minute thing. We went to this amazing feed bin, and the employes convinced us to get some chicks. We ended up spending about $1200 on the chicken supplies !!!!, and they gave us the 4 chicks for free. They sold us the feed, shavings, coop feeder and waterer, and the chickens all in less than 1 hour. 2 hours later I had a mini flock of tweeting birds in my backyard:)

Back
Top Bottom