Newb from Huntington Beach, CA

HBChickenDude

Hatching
May 9, 2015
Hey folks,

Glad to to be a part of this treasure trove of knowledge. I recently started raising three hens. I was very interested in raising some hens when, out of the blue, a friend of mine contacted me and told me he had three hens he needed to get rid of. So I immediately jumped all over the opportunity and built a small chicken tractor for our backyard. Once it was constructed the hens were brought to us and, within a day or two, adapted to their new home and immediately started laying eggs. I'm not exactly sure what breeds they are but we have a brown one (Ginger Rogers), a gold one (Goldie Hawn), and a black and white spotted one (Salt N' Peppa). We love them and they love us and provide us with all the eggs we can eat!!

Looking forward to expanding my knowledge and, eventually, the flock!!

Welcome to the flock, if you post photos of your girls, we may very well be able to identify the breeds for you. If not, you can post at "what breed or gender is this?"

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Congrats on your hens! What great timing too! You wanted some and you got some. They sound lovely. I like their names! I have 5 hens named Gracie, Sunny, Daisy, Rosie and Quanie. I love small flocks. Makes it so easy to bond with them and get to know each other their different personalties. And their eggs are just delicious, aren't they?! I'm glad you are enjoying them just as much as the rest of us enjoy our own flock.
big_smile.png

Hi and welcome to our flock!
welcome-byc.gif

So glad you could join BYC! Congratulations on beginning your chicken adventures. It's good to hear that they adapted well and started laying again quickly! Many times, hens stop laying for a while when they move to unfamiliar places. You must be giving them some good care.
smile.png

We'll be happy to help identify their breeds! Just post some photos of them here or in the What Breed or Gender Is This? section: What Breed Or Gender is This?

Welcome to our community and good luck with your hens! I hope you enjoy BYC as much as we do.

Welcome to BYC!

How nice you were able to get some nice hens, it would be fun to see a photo of them. Sounds like you are really enjoying them...nothing better than chicken tv, right?

Nice to have you here!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. Thanks for posting the pics. You have a Barred Rock, a Buff Orpington (the gold colored one), and a Production Red. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. Thanks for posting the pics. You have a Barred Rock, a Buff Orpington (the gold colored one), and a Production Red. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.
Very cool!! Thanks for identifying them! I'm really looking forward to the symbiotic relationship we're going to share with the chickens. We do a lot of gardening in our backyard and try to practice the principles of permaculture design in order to create a well integrated ecosystem that is as self-sustaining as we can make it. It's a constant work-in-progress but so much fun and such a great exercise in creativity and design. So, obviously we can use all the fertilization these lovely ladies can possibly provide. They dig, poop, and sometimes even bury it
lau.gif
. Not to mention the pest management! We immediately noticed a reduction in bug related plant damage once they figured out where to find them and how to get them. And then, nearly every afternoon there are three eggs in the nest boxes and we know they are as nutritious as can be!!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom